Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Altered Wooden Blocks

Hello all! Today I am sharing two altered wood blocks using the new Darkroom Door Playing and Creativity quote stamps. Love these stamps and they are a great size which will work for many different projects. 
 
Altered Wooden Blocks - Layers of ink
I picked up two wooden blocks at a sale recently; they were printed (and pretty ugly) and have a canvas texture on the front (7.5 x 10.5 cm). The sentiment stamps fit perfectly on top and I decided to make two of them. 
 

This quote was written outside the cafeteria at my primary school and I have liked it ever since. It would be great for an art journaling page or a birthday card too. The wooden boards were first painted with a few layers of gesso. After that, I painted them with Antique Linen Distress Paint. When that was dry, Broken China and Salty Ocean was painted on top and finally I added a little bit of Walnut Stain. The sentiment was stamped on tissue paper with Jet Black Archival ink and glued to the block with multi-medium (below and on top). You can't see the tissue paper at all.
 
This is the back of the block and here the tissue paper trick was more important since this gorgeous Bicycle Photo Stamp is so detailed. After applying the stamped tissue paper, I added more colour to the buildings and the bridges, with Walnut Stain. Crackle Paste was applied through a heart stencil with a palette knife, and when dry, watered down Walnut Stain paint was painted on top. The dots were also made with a stencil, but using texture paste. When dry, I painted them silver. 

The second block is the home of this awesome sentiment about creativity. Love it! It was done in the same way, except that I used a star stencil instead of the hearts, and a block stencil instead of the dots. The embossed small blocks were painted with Broken China.

At the back of this block, I used the lovely Laneway Photo Stamp, also adding a little bit of yellow to the lamp.

I stamped the sides of the blocks too. The creativity one was stamped with the Brick Wall background stamp and the other one with a flower from Bold Blossoms. I used Stazon ink for the stamping on the sides.

On the other sides, I stamped the new Lamp Post stamp and a tall flower from Art de Fleur Vol. 1. The small sentiment stamps come from New York Vol. 1.

This is what they look like next to each other, showing the photo stamp sides.

Thank you for looking!!

Happy stamping!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:

Darkroom Door Products:
Stamps: Playing Quote StampCreativity Quote StampBicycleLaneway, New York Vol. 1, Bold Blossoms, Art de Fleur Vol. 1, Lamp Post, Brick Wall Background

Other products:
Surfaces: wooden blocks (7.5 x 10.5 cm); tissue paper
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black; Tsukineko Stazon Jet Black
Paint: Ranger Distress Paint: Antique Linen, Walnut Stain, Salty Ocean, Broken China, Mustard Seed; Adirondack: Silver
Stencils: Wendy Vecchi Stampers Anonymous: Never Enough Hearts; The Crafters Workshop: Mini Circle Regiment, Mini Twinkle Twinkle; Prima: Checker 6 x 6
Medium: Ranger Claudine Hellmuth: Multi-Medium Gloss, Gesso; Golden Artist Paint: Crackle Paste

9 comments:

  1. Oh I ♥love♥ these, Anna-Karin! {drool!} So wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AmaZING..loved the colors,crackled hearts ,the glitter and stamping is just fantastic !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are truely wonderful Anna Karin xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very creative idea Anna-Karin and so well done. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW those are awesome. I love this. Great ideas and so well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, you are an amazingly talented gal. I love everything about this project. Perfection :)
    Keep smiling,
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw these on Pinterest? I think and I thought they were beautiful - I didn't know that they were yours now I just think they are beautiful and you are just too clever. You are so talented Anna-Karin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so pretty. I like the colors and texture, and the stamping looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!