Monday, October 28, 2013

Savor The Beauty Canvas

Hi! This week anything goes at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! I am looking forward to seeing all the creations. 
 
Savor the Beauty Canvas - Layers of ink
I sometimes have a hard time deciding what to do on anything goes challenges, but this week I knew I wanted to use the new Hero Arts Elegant Pine stencil. I LOVE this stencil, it is so intricate and the tree looks amazing. You might already know that I like trees, and this week I made a mixed media canvas (5 x 8 in) featuring this great pine tree. I took some step photos.
 
I first gave the canvas a coat of gesso, when it was dry I started by gluing down text paper. Some of the paper was die cut into leaves falling down the canvas, and the rest was torn into hills. I used multi-medium to glue them down. 

I painted the canvas with Distress Paint, watering them down first. You might want to give the canvast a light coat of gesso first, I forgot that for the sky, but did it for the ground part. I made the sky darker towards the top and the hill darker towards the front of the canvas.

I stamped a few swirls with Picket Fence Distress Paint, to add some more movement. Always clean your stamp immediately after using it with paint.

I mixed a little bit of green paint into white Embossing Paste. Don't add too much paint or the paste will lose its consistency. The paste was smeared through the stencil with a palette knife. Carefully lift the stencil and immediately wash it.

When the paste was dry, I dry-brushed a little bit of Forest Moss Distress Paint here and there, to give more colour variation to the tree. I also added just a very tiny bit of Walnut Stain.

It can be hard to stamp on a canvas, because there is no solid support to press the stamp against, I didn't want to risk messing this up with incomplete stamping, so instead I stamped the sentiment and some images on tissue paper with Archival Jet Black. It was adhered to the canvas with multi-medium and become practically invisible. I also added some dots, using the same mix of paint and paste and a border stencil. Again, when these were dry, I dry-brushed darker paint on top.

My canvas had to have some birds, and I love this one from Hero Arts My Favorite set. It was also stamped on tissue paper. I also painted a shadow for the tree, to ground it into the canvas.

This stamp was also stamped on tissue paper. The flying birds were stamped directly on the canvas, because I didn't want them to look as perfect.

I extended the sky and ground onto the sides of the canvas. Here I also added another stamp, first stamped on tissue paper.

I left the other side plain, with just a few paste dots.

Join us this week and remember that anything goes! As every week, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

50dollar_voucher_600px
 

Also, a little reminder, in case you might have missed it, Simon Says Stamp has a new blog. Make sure you are following it so that you don't miss out on the fabulous inspiration.



Thank you for the visit!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surface: Canvas 5 x 8 in; old book paper; tissue paper
Dies: Sizzix: Mini Tattered Leaves
Stamps: Hero Arts: My Favorite AC030, Collage Friend AC022, Take Time to Savor G5374; Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Mini Ornates
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black
Paint: Distress Paint: Broken China, Salty Ocean, Mustard Seed, Walnut Stain, Peeled Paint, Forest Moss, Spiced Marmalade, Barn Door, Picket Fence
Stencil: Hero Arts: Elegant Pine, Borders
Medium: Claudine Hellmuth Multi-Medium Matte, Gesso; Wendy Vecchi Stampers Anonymous: White Embossing Paste

24 comments:

  1. Beautiful canvas Anna-Karin! Love all the layers and mix of vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a magnificent canvas Anna-Karin. With a special birthday card to make today you've filled me with ideas so thank you for all the inspiration. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! thanks for all the tips!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love how the sides have a little embellishment and surprise with the verse. Lovely canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous, gorgeous!!! Love that blue and orange!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna-Karin...your canvas is so pretty. I love the bright colors and the design. Those little leaves die cut from text and melting into the background look amazing! LOVE the orange at the bottom and the sweet sentiment you've added using tissue paper. That Hero Arts stencil is so pretty and you did such a gorgeous job adding the pine to your canvas. Love the green color! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great canvas Anna-Karin, love the tree and I have in fact got that on my shopping list. Love how you added leaves to the backdrop prior to painting too and the sentiment is fantastic. I love how you decorated the sides too. Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I will try washing my Gelli plate as you suggested. I did actually like the mottled effect too but think I will try both, THANKS so much. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its wonderful ! i loved the idea of using diecut leaves on base for adding texture .Loved the texture paste tree,the colors ..everything !

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful canvas! Anna Karin. I love thepretty stenciled and old book paper leaves. The colors and textures are fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just updating the Monday list for Challenges for Days. Had to stop to say WOW your canvas is fantastic, and the tutorial here brilliant. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this ! Need that tree stencil for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely. Nice how it wraps around the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Anna-Karin! Your canvas is amazing! Love the big pine tree!And the leaves in the back are so great for texture! The sentiment is perfect! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous canvas, Anna-Karin! I love the layering and the stenciling!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are always such a layering genius! Holy cow! I especially loved the subtlety of the text leaves in the background. And the fact that you wrapped the image around the edges of your canvas? Brilliant! That's awesome that you did not leave the edges neglected like SOMEONE I know (yep-- that would be me). But you've inspired me to take it up a notch, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i could never see myself doing this but this is a wonderful piece of art. thank you for sharing it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your canvas is beautiful. I love the colors the images and how you pulled it all together. I am so inspired to want to do this. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a beautiful canvas Anna-Karin... I love how you created it and that stencil is just beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  19. This canvas is really beautiful, cheerful, colorful, and the tree is fabulous!! I like very much your use of colored embossing paste! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anna-Karin, your work is always so inspiring. I love the little scenic worlds that you create and this one is equally lovely. The tree is gorgeous. I love the leaves too. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful! I love the way you pieced together your landscape using such a variety of tools. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!