Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Clear Photo Pop-Up card

Hi everyone! Today I have a fun pop-up to share using Karen Burniston's new Sizzix Snippets dies. This month Karen challenged her group of designers to do projects with clear elements, something that I love.
 
Clear Photo Pop-Up - Layers of ink
I love using cut out photos on pop-ups, it fits so well with the surprise element. My son loves these pop-up cards featuring himself in different scenes and I will probably assemble them all in a mini-book or so some time. You can find more examples here: Reading Chair tutorial, Floating Floor Christmas tutorial, Autumn Pop-Up Tutorial, and Birthday Card. In this card, he is walking around in a bright and happy forest discovering treasures of nature. For more examples of clear pop-ups check out these: Clear Butterfly and A little Birdie.

I used the 3-D Multi-Tier pop 'n cuts insert die for the pop-up, placed it in the horizontal base die and die cut from sturdy acetate. I was first planning to place it the other way around, with the tall part against the back of the card. Then I just happened to place the pop-up this way around and I love how it turned out. This is such a versatile die, love it! With this die, you can place items at different distance to each other. There are two small folds, the larger rectangular panel and two side pieces. So many fun alternatives!

The photo is of my son preparing to step on a water balloon, it looks almost as if he is stepping up on something, so I placed it so that he is stepping up on the first pop-up 'shelf'.

On the first pop-up, I placed a stone cut from Core'dinations paper, a sleeping fox and some branches.

I stamped the acetate background with a swirl stamp and Picket Fence Distress Paint (always clean your stamp immediately after using it with paint). The background is watercolour cardstock coloured with Distress Paints. I smeared bands of Distress Paint on my craft sheet: Salty Ocean, Broken China, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey and Mustard Seed, planning them so that the blue covered the top half and the orange and yellows the lower half of the paper. I misted them with water and pressed the paper into the paint. When dry, I stamped the background with Hero Arts stamps, using both Archival Inks and paint, for texture and a tone-on-tone effect.

The trees were die cut from Simon Says Stamp's fabulous Birch Wood Veneer paper, which I had first glued to a scrap piece of cardstock. I planned to ink them green, but changed my mind and left them the colour of the wood, just stamping them with a script stamp.

I grounded the trees with some more Core'dinations rocks.

On the other side of the pop-up, I placed a larger rock, otherwise it looked as if the small tree and the fox were floating in the air. 

This is not a necessary photo, but I like the reflection of the fox in the acetate and the shadow of the fox between the trees.

The foxes and balloon were watercoloured with Distress Inks.

This is the front part of the pop-up. I die cut a tag from the wood paper with the Gift Card Holder set. Love this size tag. I stamped a sentiment on it with Stazon ink. The border was die cut from red Core'dinations kraft-core cardstock with the Chevron Border die. As you can see, the acetate is narrower than the card base and I didn't place it in the centre of the card, this was partly an accident, since I decided on a broader card after having die cut the acetate, so that the large tree would fit.

I placed alphabet stickers and a little piece of tissue tape on the rectangular platform, in front of the fox. The text looks cool floating in the air.
 
The front repeats the techniques and details from the inside. I almost always do the inside first on pop-up cards. The background was done in the same way with Distress Paints and I added a strip of stamped acetate too, as well as the same border. All the tiny staples used to attach the acetate pop-up to the card base are hidden by embellishments on the front.

The sentiment was stamped on a left-over strip of wood paper.

Here's another view from the top, so that you can better see the distance between the three layers of pop-ups.
 
Thank you so much for looking!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Dies: Sizzix: 3-D Multi-Tier, Horizontal A2 Card Base Die, Gift Card Holder, Chevron Border, Pine Tree, Mini Pine Tree & Holly, Branch Tree
Surfaces: Daler & Rowney Watercolour paper; Tim Holtz Core'dinations Colour-Core cardstock; Simon Says Stamp Birch Wood Veneer paper; acetate
Stamps: Hero Arts: La Lettre K5344, Envelope Pattern S5507, Magical Background CG211, Past Times AC007, Texture and Shape LP283, Paint Print K5788, Painted Circle E5784, Printer's Lowercase LL762, Each Moment F5579, Sleepy Fox E5466, Fox E5465
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black, Venetian Orange, Monarch Orange, French Ultramarine; Distress Ink: Rusty Hinge, Antique Linen, Fired Brick; Stazon Jet Black
Paint: Distress Paint: Salty Ocean, Broken China, Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey, Mustard Seed, Picket Fence
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Terminology tissue tape; Studio Calico wood veneer: Birds, Mini Hearts, Arrows; Basic Grey letter stickers

17 comments:

  1. This is such a fun card, Anna-Karin! Love how you work the photographs into the scene. Thanks for always making such amazing projects for the Designer Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever using the Multi-Tier in the opposite direction. Your card is a wonderful scene for your son to play & explore in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super super cute!! I LOVE that you used a photo of your son. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh love how you turned the multi tier the other way ... fun card

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card Anna-Karin! Thanks for posting photos from various angles and such detail descriptions of your card assembly. Love that you turned the multi-tier in the other direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you did a fantastic job on creating this amazing card. I am so in love with pop-up cards and yours has so much detail and is so much fun. Love it!
    Your blogging sister, Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it Love it LOVE it. So many great photos and details. Wow!
    Cheers,
    Karen Aicken

    ReplyDelete
  8. The detail in this card is so amazing! You really caught a little boy's imagination! This touches my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your pop-up cards that too with clear elements ! They are fantastic always !I loved the whole play scene you have created..so much detailing to make it perfect .The front is equally amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Can't wait to try a clear pop-up card!

    kren@http://afourthlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. So danged cute and I love all the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So danged cute and I love all the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How adorable!! I can see this card being a cherished keepsake of an adoring grandparent. Wow!! Such a great idea! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. GASP!
    What a mom!
    The book is a great idea.
    Wonderful!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh. my. goodness! totally amazing! I just love the detailed "wonderland" you created for your son to step into; such creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A terrific personalized project--so much loving creative work. It's always great to see how others put their own stamp on life.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!