Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sizzix 1950s Blog Hop

[It is a busy day on the blog today; you'll find the Darkroom Door and Art Journey blog hop below. Don't miss it!]
 
Hello and welcome to my post for the Sizzix 1950's Blog Hop! We're having a blog hop to celebrate The 50's, a new Sizzix collection by Jen Long. The dies and embossing folders included in this line are fabulous. So kick of your shoes, do the twist and follow us on this inspirational hop.
 
The 50's dies made me think of my maternal grandmother, since many of them fit so well with her. I made a scrapbooking page about her love for dogs, particularly Poodles. The 50's dies are so much fun and certainly not only for 50s style projects. Most of them are Thinlets sets and you put them together a little bit like paper piecing, only a lot easier. This was a hard project to photograph, with lots of shiny parts, metal and textured black elements. I took some step photos. 
 
Let's start with the background. I like to sometimes cover my entire background with dry embossed papers and these fun and detailed embossing folders were perfect for this. I used Ranger's Specialty Stamping Paper, and the Retro Sewing & Pattern and Retro Kitchen Sets.
 
Carefully, ink some of the images with Peacock Feathers, using an ink-blending tool. Next smear some Peacock Feathers ink on a craft sheet, mist once with water and pick up with a paint brush. Tap the brush to create splatters. Finally, I inked and distressed the edges. My grandmother was very fond of turquoise.
 
Adhere the embossed panels to turquoise cardstock, overlapping them slightly. Sew with a sewing machine.
 
These are the parts for the TV set. I die cut the largest one from glossy cardstock and inked with Peacock Feathers, giving it almost an old enamel look. The middle part and the antenna were die cut from paper covered with foil tape and the glass part from black paper. The legs and the horizontal bar were die cut from glossy cardstock and inked with Gathered Twigs.
 
You simply glue the pieces together and you'll have this cute TV. I coated the glass with a thick layer of Glossy Accents.
 
These are the dies and pieces needed to make the camera. My grandfather was an amateur photographer so the camera was a perfect accent for this page. The pieces were die cut from black cardstock and foil. The Magnetic Platform is the perfect companion to these dies, making die cutting a breeze.
 
I embossed the camera body and the two buttons with clear embossing powder, which created a texture similar to that of a camera. I don't know if you can see it so well in the photo. The metallic part of the lens was distressed with a needle tool and the central part was coated with Glossy Accents. The lens was adhered to the body with a foam dot.
 
Next up, the super cute radio, very similar to the brown radio my grandparents had. If you struggle to die cut any of these detailed dies, a sheet of wax paper between the die and the paper usually does the trick. It works like magic. The radio was die cut from glossy cardstock and inked with Gathered Twigs, since I used wax paper when die cutting it, a little bit of the wax had been transferred to the radio creating a great subtle resist effect.
 
Piece the parts together to make this. So cute! I used Glossy Accents to adhere all the tiny pieces.
 
The records and music notes were also die cut from black cardstock and embossed with clear powder. The text and centres of the records were die cut from glossy cardstock and inked with Peacock Feathers.
 
You can see the texture of the embossing powder here.

The Poodle is a steel rule die, so you can use it to die cut thick material. I used mat board and covered it completely with Black Soot Distress Ink. Immediately toss clear Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel on the dog, and melt with a heat gun. Don't touch the powder since it gets very hot. Just one layer of UTEE creates a great texture, very similar to the fur of a Poodle. The bow was inked with Peacock Feathers and coated with Glossy Accents.
 
Here you can see the great texture of the Poodle better. 

The title was die cut from glossy cardstock with the Vintage Market Sizzlits die, and inked with Gathered Twigs. It translates to 'Poodles'. I also die cut a tag for my journaling, tucked behind the photo to the left. 
 
Don't miss checking out all the projects by the DT members participating in the hop.
 
Anna-Karin Evaldsson (you are here)
  
There are prizes to be won, and don't forget to head back to the Sizzix blog when you are done hopping before 29 July.
 
Later 'gators. Have a blast! And thank you for stopping by!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Embossing folders: Sizzix: Retro Sewing & Pattern Set, Retro Kitchen Set
Surfaces: Sizzix Little Sizzles White Mat Board; Ranger: Specialty Stamping Paper, Glossy Cardstock, Foil Tape
Ink: Distress Ink: Black Soot, Peacock Feathers, Gathered Twigs
Embossing powder: Ranger: Clear Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel, Clear Detail
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Chit Chat Stickers; We R Memory Keepers Baker's twine

59 comments:

  1. Really like how you achieved the background and the little TV is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness, what an amazing page! the bg looks just like vintage ceiling tiles! what a neat idea to put all of the embossed cs pieces together this way. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna-Karin, this layout is gorgeous! I love, love, love your dry embossed background, it's definitely a technique I want to try now. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your layout is splendiferous!! I just love these dies!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius way to use embossing folders - would never have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love everything about your pages from the embossed background to the very detailed die cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of my all time favorite pages ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful collage type scrapbook page....great use of colors too! Love what you did with the poodle....soooo cute!
    TFS
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun theme. Love how you've used these die cuts. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My jaw is on the FLOOR at how much you put into this - WOW! Your details are amazing and I love how you used what I think of as retro colors to tie it all together. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome layout Anna-Karin!! Love the 50's!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great layout! I love those embossing folders and the dies! Great retro style! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how you did the backroung. and the tv is just perfect

    ReplyDelete
  14. That poodle fur technique was perfect!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Each and every one simply ADORABLE! I'm a baby boomer and can relate to ALL of these fun images! thanks so much for sharing with us

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful page ! love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting! I like the metallic accents very much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great idea to use lots of embossed papers for the background.
    thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love how you used the dies to feature the photographs, you have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The bubbles are cool! Love your creation-absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous layout! I love the colors and embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your wonderful layout! Love the pics and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great layout with all the vintage icons!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the die cuts and embossing! Great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are awesome!!! Love the dies and the embossing folders! Can't wait to get some of these! Great layout!

    ReplyDelete
  26. very very fun!!!! Love the poddle!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anna I love to visit your blog. I get the most inspiration from here and I am also most intimidated by it too. Your attention to detail is just astounding. I would love to see you in action. This is just an exquisite layout. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love how you used the embossing folders for your page. You are so very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fantastic layout! I love all of the texture and layers you added to it. BTW, your grandmother was a beautiful and elegant woman!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have so many memories from this time in life. Great to see that there are embellishments I can use for scrapbooking

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful layout! Great for those great older photos.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love how you've clear embossed some of the die pieces - what a fun page - great background!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love how you've clear embossed some of the die pieces - what a fun page - great background!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gorgeous retro page, love all your super elements !

    ReplyDelete
  35. Perfect icons for scrapbooking family!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh my gosh, I think this is the cutest layout ever! That UTEE on the poodle makes the perfect texture! I need to get myself some UTEE now for sure! LOL tfs hugs, Kristina

    ReplyDelete
  37. Crafty Paws, took the "Oh my gosh" , right out of my mouth. I thought the same. So many fun details on your layout, reflecting upon the 50's. I love all of these dies.

    ReplyDelete
  38. A totally brilliant retro look - perfect in every wonderful detail!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a FABULOUS LAYOUT!!! LOVE those embossing folders too! They go SO WELL with the new Sizzix dies! AND those DIES...... WOW!!! LOOK AT THE DETAIL!!!!!! LOVE WHAT YOU'VE DONE WITH THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D THE TOPS!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great layout...my eyes were going everywhere and the embossed background is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anna-Karin, Absolutely Love Every Single Detail about this gorgeous tribute to your grandmother!! Really--every detail is Perfect and I can tell made with Love!! I'm just like WOW!! Fabulous!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  42. I really like your idea of using the embossing folders as a background.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fabulous layout! Love all the details you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Learnt a lot! Thanks - great work

    ReplyDelete
  45. what do I love more? the TV die or the embossing folders? I cannot decide...would love to have all of these dies and folders. I love Sizzix and this "hop". thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a fabulous collection of die cut images, and I especially love the poodle as he is so cute. x

    ReplyDelete
  47. OH MY! What a fab layout-love the embossed background and those dies!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Whoops! Thought I already commented, but guess not. A fantabulous page! The embossed BG, the 50s die cuts and how you used them, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  49. This really captures the feel of the 50's. Awesome color choice and I love how you created the feel of vinyl records with embossing powder. Seriously, you have such an incredible eye for details. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!