Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Blueprints and Stencils Layout

Hello everyone! I hope your week has had a good start. We have another collaborative case file between CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration and Scrap365. Scrap365 is a wonderful magazine. Here's the case file:
 
 
And my layout:

I loved the colour combo, and was initially planning to use more of the blue, but ended up focusing on the other four colours, and just adding some blue pearls. From the evidence I used: grid design, nautical, texture paste, numbers, twine, frames and book pages. From the testimony I did a six-word memoir with chit chat stickers, and journaled more about the sea under the flaps. I recently got these great Tim Holtz Nautical Blueprint stamps and used them to create a grid on my page. The remaining squares were done with stencils and embossing paste.

All the blueprint squares are folded double into flaps and open to reveal more photos and journaling. I stamped the blueprints with Archival Watering Can ink on watercolour paper. The grey ink gives a softer look than black ink. They were watercoloured with Distress Ink: Tattered Rose, a mix of Barn Door and Dried Marigold, and Pumice Stone.
 
I painted around them and added a shadow with Pumice Stone. When the ink was dry, the papers were splattered with more Pumice Stone, for texture. There is a mirrored star in the centre of this image. The Industrious letter stickers spell out 'sea'.
 
The blueprint images are always fun to colour. If you have the May 2014 issue of the Craft Stamper, I have an article in it using blueprint stamps in three different ways. Two pieces of twine were stapled at the base of each one. I also distressed the edges.
 
Love this sea horse. I added rub-on sentiments here and there.

The remaining five squares were smeared with embossing paste, using a different Tim Holtz stencil for each one. The title of the page ('close to the sea') was stamped on a die cut Tattered Curvy Banner. The background of the layout is a sheet of the new Motif paper (I also used it on this and this journal page). This one has a dot pattern and I watercoloured it with Pumice Stone ink, smearing ink on my craft sheet, misting with water and picking it up with a large brush.

This is the pretty Doily stencil. When the paste was dry, I misted one page at a time with water and watercoloured them with the same Distress Inks, dropping in colours here and there. When the ink was dry, I splattered them with some more Pumice Stone. Here are some chit chat stickers, describing some of my feelings for the sea.

I like these old boathouses, where fishermen keep/used to store their equipment. They are a common site on the Swedish coast. The photos were layered on old book pages. 

The layout is about my feelings for the sea and about all kinds of interesting discoveries you can make close to the sea and in these old fishing villages, but also about the particular day spent at the sea with family.
 
Thank you so much for looking! I hope you will join us in this month-long special case file.
 
Happy crafting!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Motif cardstock; Daler & Rowney watercolour paper; old book paper
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Nautical Blueprint
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Watering Can; Distress Ink: Tattered Rose, Barn Door, Dried Marigold, Pumice Stone 
Stencils: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous: Rays, Arrows, Doily, Stars, Latticework
Medium: Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Observations Word Bands, Frames & Trims Industrious Stickers, Borders Industrious Stickers, Deco Type Industrious Stickers, Number Brads, Long Fasteners, Life Quotes Remnant Rubs, Chit Chat stickers, Index Labels, Mirrored Stars; twine

11 comments:

  1. STUNNING! Love how you cut all the watercolor paper squares with the images. So inspired today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's not to utterly adore about this Anna-Karin! Your choice of colours is superb and work perfectly with the nautical images. And of course the photos coordinate so well. Pinning this. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome layout. Love how you used Tim's stamps. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my totally, utterly stunning!! You are a GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your layout is wonderful, I love the subtle colours you have chosen and those stamps are amazing (my current favourite set) and suit your layout perfectly. Love the pictures too! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful page! You have a wonderful sense of color and balance combined with a mastery of many techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just a totally awesome page - but then all your layouts are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is so inspiring. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant take on the challenge. Love your work :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jaw-droppingly gorgeous... I'm just in love with this!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!