Saturday, June 7, 2014

Resist Background Layout

Hi everyone! After a nice day in a park, it is time to post my layout for this week's CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration challenge. Here's this week's case file:
 
My layout:
 
I was planning to do a layout on something else, but this topic was calling out my name this week. I used to play badminton, from childhood until my early twenties, lots of training, competitions, and of course many memories. It unfortunately ended with a knee injury, which has recently made itself very much known again in the form of pretty bad knee problems, which is why I felt that I should write both about my badminton memories and about this never ending knee-journey. From the evidence I used: chevrons, numbers, transparent items, rub-ons. From the testimony I added decorative edges to my journaling. I ended up writing four pages of text, and tucked it behind the layout. The photo block also opens and there are several pages inside with more photos and text.
 
I worked on watercolour paper and clear embossed arrows from a new Tim Holtz set over two thirds of the background. The numbers were added with a stencil and embossing paste. When the paste was dry, I watercoloured the background with Distress Inks (Peacock Feathers, Tumbled Glass, Spiced Marmalade).

I liked the resist effect where you see some parts of the arrows better than others depending on how bright the ink is.
 
Here's a better look of the numbers. The title was done with Industrious stickers.
 
The Tim Holtz Prize Ribbon was die cut from mat board and painted orange. I die cut the circle in the middle a second time, painted it silver, added a rub-on and coated with Glossy Accents.
 
The Mini Trophy is perfect for a layout about sports. It was also die cut from mat board, painted silver and coated with Glossy Accents.

I also used a Mini Shield die, treated the same way as the other silver pieces.

Two feathers were stamped with Stazon Cotton White on clear Modeling Film, heated and shaped. They were hard to photograph. The text on the photo panel was stamped with Archival Forget-Me-Not and the orange arrows were done with a Chevron stencil and Spiced Marmalade ink. A photo turn is holding the flap closed, with a Chit Chat sticker on top, showing that there more of the story is told underneath.

You might be able to see the dimension of the feathers better here. The Modeling Film keeps its shape perfectly.

Thank you for looking!

Have a great weekend!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Daler & Rowney Watercolour paper; Neenah Smooth Solar White cardstock; Wendy Vecchi Clearly for Art Modeling Film
Dies: Sizzix: Mini Eiffel Tower & Shield, Mini Trophy & Prize Ribbon, Prize Ribbons
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Here & There, Bird Feather, Random Quotes
Ink: Archival Ink: Forget-Me-Not; Distress Ink: Peacock Feathers, Tumbled Glass, Spiced Marmalade; Tsukineko Stazon Cotton White
Embossing powder: Ranger Clear Detail
Paint: Distress Paint: Spiced Marmalade; Adirondack Silver
Medium: Stampers Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: White Texture Paste
Stencils: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Numbered, Chevron
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Chit Chat stickers, Words Remnant Rubs, Life Quotes Remnant Rubs, Numbers Remnant Rubs, Chiseled Industrious stickers; 7Gypsies Phototurn

4 comments:

  1. As one knee sufferer to another, I understand your pain! This layout is fabulous, the subtle colours in the background are wonderful and the paste give a lovely texture overall. I really love your treatment of the feathers too. Anne :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous colours and textures in the background - it's so delicately pretty. Great layout!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love this! All the thoughtful intentional details are what make this wonderful, imho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I love your background. The use of clear embossing and then water colors. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!