Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Pop-up card: A little birdie told me

Hi everyone! Today I have a fun card to share using Sizzix Karen Burniston’s Pop’n Cuts 3D Label die. The pop-up dies are so much fun to work with. I love acetate cards and wanted to do a pop-up with a clear base and a clear pop-up insert. This is the result:
This card was hard to photograph, with all the dimensional and clear elements. I kept the outside pretty simple. I wanted to use the great Birds on a Wire die and since I am using a silhouette stamp on the inside, I thought I should use a silhouette on the outside too. The birds were cut from black modeling film. The film is pretty thick and the die didn’t quite cut through (it probably would have if I had run it through my BigShot a few times), but it was easy to just cut the birds out with scissors along the cutting lines. I heated up the film and shaped one bird at the time. It cools down quickly, so it is easiest to do one bird at a time. Love the dimensional silhouette birds.

The acetate cardbase was embossed in a swirl folder and I cut a little window for the sentiment with a label Movers & Shapers die. The paper is Specialty Stamping Paper, a matte coated paper, lots of fun to ink. The cloud was stamped twice with Versamark for a subtle resist effect. After drying it with a heat gun, the front was inked with Adirondack Aqua, Stonewashed and Distress Ink Salty Oceans, starting with the lightest shade. The sentiment was stamped with Archival Jet Black ink, using a stamp positioner for precise placement.

You might see the dimension of the birds a bit better here.

I used a second piece of acetate to cut the 3D label pop-up, placing it in my base tray. I embossed the front edge of it with a butterfly border die, and cut the top with a scalloped On the Edge die. The top and bottom of the matte cardstock was cut with the same die. The matte paper was cut the same width and just a bit longer.

I wanted to build a little scene on the inside and the Musical Walk silhouette stamp fit perfectly behind the pop up label. I stamped it with Jet Black ink using a stamp positioner – now working on the back of the same matte cardstock you see on the front. The flowers were inked with Distress Markers and stamped. Then I inked the sky with the same colours as the front, masking off the grass. The grass was inked with shades of green (Adirondack Willow, Distress Ink Bundled Sage, Shabby Shutters and Mowed Lawn), using a torn piece of paper as a mask to create soft hills. I should have taken a photo of the inked and stamped background before addnig the pop-up portion, but I forgot.

I left the top the clear label unembellished, because it would show on the front and I couldn’t think of a good shape that would work for the scene and look good up-side down too. The bottom part was embellished with a fence cut from kraftcore cardstock and sanded. I found some distress ink watercoloured scraps in my stash, from my Chest of Drawers project (you can see the inks that were used to create the papers there), and another piece of pink watercolour paper. I cut two blue birds (from the Birds on a Wire), a few leaves and swirls and some small flowers with the Tattered Floral Garland die. They were layered on the fence to sort of frame the focal image. I didn’t add pearls of bling to the flower centers, because I wanted to keep them flat so that the card would close.

The sentiment was stamped just in front of the pop-up label, on the matte cardstock. The rest of the matte cardstock was inked with the same shades of green as above. Here you can see the dry embossed butterflies too, but they are kind of hard to see.

Attaching things is often tricky with clear cards because adhesive will show through. First, I planned to stitch the matte cardstock and the pop-cut acetate to the base acetate, but then I decided to use my tiny attacher instead. The staples holding the front piece are hidden at the front by the birds.

On this photo you might see the dimension a bit better, and the distance between the label and the the children. A musical ribbon showing through to the front when the card is closed was glued to the base acetate.

The back of the card.

Thank you for looking! Have a great day!

Anna-Karin

Supplies: Dies: Sizzix: 3D Label Pop-Up, Birds on a Wire Sizzlits, Birds & Butterflies,Tattered Flower Garland, Mini Labels Movers & Shapers, Mini Scallops On the Edge, On the Fence, Swirls texture fade; Stamps: Hero Arts Musical Walk F5468, Please Note 331072, Many Birthday Messages CL611, Flourish Background CG119, Tall Circle Flowers K5581, Halloween Moon CG369; Distress Ink: Mowed Lawn, Salty Oceans, Shabby Shutters, Bundled Sage; Distress Ink Markers: Worn Lipstick, Peeled Paint, Bundled Sage; Adirondack: Aqua, Stonewashed, Willow; Archival Ink Jet Black; Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper; Stamper’s Anonymous black modeling film; mini attacher; Creative Imaginations ribbon; Core’dinations kraftcore cardstock; watercolour scraps.

13 comments:

  1. Wow- I wish it was my birthday :-) This card is super cool Anna-Karin. As always, just beautiful because you add the extra touches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is a feast for the eyes! I love the pop-up scene you created by cutting the PNC out of clear so it disappears. What a brilliant card. More pop-ups, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely gorgeous! You rocked the dies! Love the clear and the scene on the inside. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so gorgeous, Anna-Karin. Just the front with that amazing acetate and bird silhouettes was great, but then as I scrolled down I just smiled in delight... The scene inside is wonderful, the silhouettes of the children, and the TH fence die all perfect. And I love your strip of musical ribbon (I've just been playing with a similar idea!)...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is so imaginative, rich in variety of textures and so beautiful - one of my favorites! Someone is going to be one lucky recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, Anna-Karin, this is such a surprise inside! What a wonderful card, and beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great card! Definitely a work of art.Thanks for shring with us!
    Hugs,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome Anna-Karin!

    Cindi (iring)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is so interesting. Great technique. NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! I just love this card. So many wonderful elements!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!