I used an 8 x 10 in canvas board and tore up papers from Vintage Vanity and Cartographer gluing them down with multi medium. I liked how this looked and almost didn't want to cover it up.
Next, a layer of gesso, but leaving some of the patterns to show through. At this stage you might not love how it looks, but don't worry, it gets better.
I painted the board with various Distress Paints, still making sure to let some of the patterns show through. Distress Paints are thin, which makes this easier.
Next, I tore out some images from the papers, wanting to do some transfers. After planning where I wanted them to be, I painted some multi medium on the background, one section at a time. The papers were torn because a torn edge disappears easier than a cut edge. Place the images face down and burnish well. Leave to dry.
Mist the back of the paper with water and rub away the paper with your fingers. This takes a little patience, and you will probably have to repeat it, because it can be hard to see if there is white left-over when the image is wet. Let it dry, and repeat until basically all the white paper is gone.
I continued with three hot-air balloons, more buildings and a man on his bike. I added more paint to make the images a part of the background, painting around the edges so that they blend in better. I also painted some shadows.
Next, I brought out some stencils, and sponged paint through them - a damask, dots and words. Leave to dry.
The background was stamped with three different stamps by Finnabair, and Stone Gray ink. I used grey ink for a slightly softer look than black. Hold the stamp in your hand and just let it touch the background here and there.
Next, those beautiful large flowers from the two stencils: Floral Rose #1 and Floral Rose #2. I smeared White Embossing Paste through the stencils with a palette knife, positioning the flowers so that they didn't cover up anything important. Leave to dry.
The stencils also contain great words and lots of little dots. I coloured paste pink and brown and smeared that through the stencils, adding a title, more words, and random dots.
I painted the flowers with Distress Paints, mainly Victorian Velvet, Frayed Burlap and Gathered Twigs.
Use a small paint brush to paint the flowers. Alternatively you could colour the paste first, and then just add a little more paint when they are dry to get a nice variation.
I also added some Prima metallic embellishments, altering them with Distress Paint first.
Here are some more metallic embellishments, and a close up of the weathered look of the transfers.
The cyclist was one of my favourite parts, if you look carefully you can see a tiny stamped cyclist next to him.
Finishing off with the Eiffel Tower, and another stamped image of the cyclist.
Take out your neglected supplies and join us this week in our challenge, and it might be you who wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp, drawn randomly.
Thank you for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial.
Supplies:Surfaces: Prima: Cartographer A4 pad, Cartographer 4 x 6 pad, Finnabair Vintage Vanity A4 pad
Stamps: Prima Finnabair: Vintage Vanity, Vintage Vanity #2, Vintage Vanity #3
Ink: Tsukineko Stazon: Stone Gray
Paint: Distress Paint: Antique Linen, Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain, Victorian Velvet, Broken China, Peacock Feathers, Evergreen Bough, Gathered Twigs
Stencils: Prima: Floral Rose #1, Floral Rose #2, Damask
Medium: Wendy Vecchi White Embossing Paste; Ranger Dina Wakley: White Gesso; Ranger: Matte Multi Medium, Gloss Multi Medium
Embellishments: Prima: Plate and Label Mechanicals, Mini Numbers