Friday, November 4, 2011

Distress Stain cards

I played around some more with Distress Stains yesterday, they are so quick to colour with. A few days ago Godelieve posted a stunning tag where she used Distress Stain to colour fall leaves on a tree. I thought it was such a clever idea and wanted to try it out. I decided to do a similar card as this one that I did some weeks ago, only using Distress Stain instead of misted Distress Ink applied with a paint brush, just to see how different it would turn out.

A fun thing with this technique (and any inky watercolour technique) is that the results are somewhat unpredictable, so you will never get the same look twice. Colouring with Distress Stains is so quick, I ended up doing two cards.


I first stamped the tree with Archival Jet Black on watercolour paper and then pounced the Distress Stains as leaves. On the first one I let the colours blend a bit more when I pounced the leaves, on the second on the blend a bit less. For the ground, I just swept the stains over the cardstock in wavy stripes. The brown lines were applied with a paint brush, using Vintage Photo stain.


Supplies: Stampscapes: Leafless Limbs 053F, Reeds 068D, Flock 112A, Duck Treio in Flight 123A, Doe 229A; Distress Stain: Aged Mahogany, Wild Honey, Mustard Seed, Rusty Hinge, Spiced Marmalade, Vintage Photo; Ranger Archival Jet Black; watercolour paper.

While I was busy, I wanted to do a wintery card too. It is also for Stamping A to Z on Two Peas. Here’s the result:


The winter scene was stamped on watercolour paper with Archival Jet Black ink. The sky was pounced with Distress Stain, blending them more than I did on the tree. The ground was swept, just as on the other cards. Some jewels were added as stars/snow.

Thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a wonderful weekend!

Supplies: Hero Arts stamps: Winter Scene K5524, Sending Holiday Cheer CL464; Distress Stain: Tumbled Glass, Weathered Wood, Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, Chipped Sapphire; Ranger Archival Jet Black; Tim Holtz Sizzix dots embossing folder; Core’dinations Stormy Sky cardstock; Imaginisce jewels; Panduro velvet hearts.

4 comments:

  1. Those cards are so lovely! I tried some distress inks myself the other day! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cards Anna-Karin! I love how vibrant your first card looks.
    Cool winter card too.
    Thanks for the link ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oj så fina kort med distress stain! VAd kan man få tag på stämplarna, den till julkortet o höstlövsträdet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Var skulle det ju så klart stå :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!