Monday, September 28, 2015

Ombre Butterfly Card


Hi crafting friends! I hope you had a good weekend! We had a lovely fall day in a forest yesterday. Today, it is Monday and time for a new Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. We are having an Ombré theme this week. This implies the gradual blending of one hue to another, such as going from light to dark within one shade of colour.

I like ombré techniques, and often do them with dye ink and a brayer. Today, I used Hero Arts Ombré ink pads, with which you can achieve an ombré effect very quickly and easily. My background came out so nice that I almost didn't want to cover it up. 

I used the Pool to Navy pad together with the lovely Doily Pattern Background stamp, by Hero Arts and Basic Grey. This technique works well with a pretty solid stamp. If you use a stamp with lots of open areas, the ombré effect won't be as noticeable. I inked starting from one edge and going towards the center. When I reached the center, I turned the stamp around and inked it the same way from the other edge. That way, I got an impression that is lighter in the center and darker towards both edges. 

I was very happy with how well this ink stamped. It is such a detailed stamp, and every line is clearly visible. I used Neenah Smooth Solar White paper. The edge was die cut with the new Simon Says Stamp STAMPtember Notebook Edges die. I have a thing for notebook edges, maybe due to having filled many of these types of notebooks during my studies.

The butterflies come from the Color Layering Butterflies set, which contains two different layered butterflies - each one consisting of four stamps. I used the Butter to Orange Ombré ink, Simon Says Stamp Sunkist ink and Hero Arts lovely Satin Pearl embossing powder. The small butterfly was die cut with the Tiny Shapes set.


I hope you can see the effect of the embossing powder here. It was the first time I used it and I really liked the way it turned out, such a pretty pearl powder.

The butterflies look nice with a tone-on-tone effect, or you could try stamping them in contrasting colours instead.

I hope you will join us in our ombré challenge, as always, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp. You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in.


If you want to, follow Simon Says Stamp on Instagram, they post great stuff every day. 



If you use instagram add #sssmchallenge to your challenge entry uploads, so that we can see them on there too.




Thank you so much for visiting today! I will be back tomorrow with a Halloween post.

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:



19 comments:

  1. Gorgeous card Anna-Karin :-) I love the background, my fave colours, and the circles behind the butterflies are fabulous! the whole design is beautiful :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors combo of your card is so eyecatching. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally stunning!! I just love how white embossing makes the ombre POP even more!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful technique! Must try it!! Love the affects and especially the color combo you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous shading in the background, and I love the contrasting butterflies.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning card!!! LOVE this card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ombre card is so pretty and the butterflies are gorgeous fluttering around on top of the lacy doily. The ombre effect ink would really make this technique a whole lot easier.
    Thanks for sharing this fun idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card, interesting tutorial, i never used this ink but it looks so wonderful! I want it! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really stunning! I love how you did an ombre effect behind the white-stamped image. It reminds me of lace and is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful and I've fallen in love with that stamp, it's gorgeous! Wonderful piece of work, which showcases the ombre effect at it's very best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. gorgeous contrast between your beautiful blue ombre background and the brilliant orange butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the ombre colors on both images and that they are contrasting colors as they make each other shine! Like a good marriage! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful Anna-Karin! Love your gorgeous ombre background! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely Stunning !! Love the Blue & Orange together ! so Striking & the White Embossing is just Perfect !!
    TFS

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why you almost didn't cover the background. It's amazing! It's truly beautiful. The orange was the the perfect pop of color. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow.. your card is amazing, Anna-Karin. The colors are fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!