Monday, September 14, 2015

Distress Resist Video Tutorial




Hello everyone and welcome to another Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge post. This week our theme is favourite techniques

Resist techniques are a favourite of mine, and there are many ways in which you can create a resist effect on your projects. Today I am going to share a video tutorial for a great resist technique using Ranger's Distress Micro Glaze together with Distress Ink, stamping and a stencil. I wanted to show the Distress Micro Glaze in a video, so that you can see just how little is needed, and it is kind of magical to see the resist effect take place. I hope you enjoy it. 

I thought it would be fun to do an autumn version of a Bird Crazy stamp, since I always enjoy using the colours of fall. My little bird is painting the world in autumn shades. I also used the new Fall Foliage die set by Tim Holtz, which has wonderful leaves in different sizes.

Here's the video:


I had fun recording another video tutorial (you can find the first one here), again I recorded it outdoors, because I still haven't sorted out the poor lightning in my studio, and the weather was also really nice so I felt like being outdoors. Apart from one or two wasps, and a whole bunch of airplanes, there were no major issues. I had to make quite a few cuts in the video to cut out the airplanes, which are pretty noisy.

Here you can see three of the backgrounds that I made. You'll never get the same effect twice with this technique, which is something I love.

And a close-op of the dots with the white highlights and how the stamping seeming to be underneath the dots, because of the resist effect of the glaze.

I showed this piece of paper in the video too. Here I did the same technique, but without adding the glaze. Since Distress Ink reacts with water and is transparent, the yellow dots are much less visible here and have become darker. For another example check out my Blueprint Watercolour Resist Tutorial

The bird was stamped on the rough side of Ranger's watercolour paper with Jet Black ink. I applied glaze sparingly to the stomach, wing and hat. Then it was watercoloured with Distress Inks, and the glaze resisted the ink, preserving the white of the paper. For another example of this check out my Bird Crazy Wall Art Tutorial. The bird was die cut with the coordinating Bird Crazy Framelits set and dressed up with a hat and some paint brushes from the Crazy Things set. I used foam dots for the wing, eyes and beak and to adhere the bird to the background. 

My painterly bird left one of her paint brushes on another branch, where she had finish painting some leaves.

The leaves were die cut with the new Fall Foliage set by Tim Holtz, from kraft-core cardstock and from Metallic Kraft-Core (gold and copper). I embossed the leaves with the dies, using this sandwich:  Multipurpose Platform Tab 1, Cutting Pad, die with the paper left inside, facing up, Silicon Rubber Pad, Impressions Pad. They were sanded and inked with Ground Espresso, and finally I also added some Rock Candy Distress Stickles to the non-metallic ones.

Here you can see the mix of metallic and classic kraft-core.

The sentiment was stamped with alphabet stamps.

The Distress Micro Glaze Distress Technique I used here is a different extended version of a technique I shared on Ranger's site last month. You can see that tag to the right here. I used the same stencil and stamp, so that you could easily see the difference between the two techniques. 

I hope you will join us in our technique challenge, as always, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp. You have until Monday 8am Ohio time. 1pm UK time, 2 pm CET to join in.
If you want to, follow Simon Says Stamp on Instagram, they post great stuff every day. 



If you use instagram add #sssmchallenge to your challenge entry uploads, so that we can see them on there too.



Thank you so much for stopping by today! Have a lovely week!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:




38 comments:

  1. Fabulous autumnal crazy bird - and I love your Micro Glaze resist effects - gorgeous tag. I'm heading back to watch the video, with or without aeroplanes!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! There were so many aeroplanes, but I think you only hear one of them in the video, I did a lot of cutting.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I just LOVE your tag and the tutorial is fabulous! I have some glaze so I am definitely going to give this awesome technique a try :-)

    Thanks for sharing :-)

    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy to have seen the video! You rock! I LOVE your South African accent! Never heard your voice before... grin

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS your link to SSS challenge does not work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this video tutorial and tag!! TFS tips and techniques with Micro Glaze..now I'll have to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful tag and this technique looks amazing, thank you for the video, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow--this is an incredible work of art! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anna, I am so glad you are doing videos! I have been a huge fan of yours for a long time and I have to say I hope you will continue video tutorials. I love the tag, and love everything you do...I am so excited about the videos....More more more!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Janie! I will definitely continue with the video tutorials, and hopefully they will be a little quicker to make in the future as I get more used to it. :)

      Delete
  9. Anna-Karin what an AWESOME tag and another oh so helpful video is most appreciated! The added dimension of the color on the dots and the shadow really bring this wonderful tag to life! My micro glaze is on order...hope it arrives soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan!! I hope you are well. You will definitely love the micro glaze.

      Delete
  10. This is an incredible tag! I really love all the elements you combined and I'm in a constant state of awe at the techniques you come up with. The rich colors in this are gorgeous and I like how the polka dots in the background have the "shadow" look to them. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a great tutorial. Love how you used the glaze and all the ways that you can used it Thanks so much for inspiring me:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful tag! Thank you for the tutorial. I also love all kinds of resist techniques. I haven't tried this one yet, but after watching your video, I know I will. Your tag turned out great, and I love the wall hanging for your son's room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Daria!! Resist techniques are so much fun.

      Delete
  13. Absolutely amazing backgrounds and that tiny paintbrush looks amazing on that tag!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word!! You just make such gorgeous art look so effortless! LOVE LOVE! And in Fall colors! MY FAVE! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steph!! Every autumn, I enjoy crafting with fall colours.

      Delete
  15. Wow, this looks great! Thanks for the detailed explanation!
    Edith

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's absolutely amazing what you make; I love these tags!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a gorgeous tag, Anna-Karin. Love this great technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thnks for sharing tjis wonderful video tutorial! You are a perfect teacher! This autumn tag is amazing! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful piece, from the colors to the humor in it! Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous, love this wonderful warm autumn colours and the painted bird!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This tag is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the video tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for the video tutorial. I also enjoy micro glaze, it is a fantastic product and you inspired me to use it with stamps over the sealed image. Your colour combo of rusty hinge and dusty concord is beautiful, I should try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic! I love the micro glaze effect on the image! I am going to be using this idea definitely in a future project. Fabulous tag and the rich warm autumn colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really pretty tags, and I love this technique! It gives it such a cool effect. Love the video, and I love microglaze. Question, how do you clean the stencil when you used the micro glaze? Only with a tissue or kitchen towel? Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love this tag Anna-Karin and the colours are just perfect for this time of year! I really must try this technique as I still haven't got around to using it yet! Great video too and I didn't even notice the wasps or the planes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fantastic tags~such rich colors and layers

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow these tags are awesome!! Great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yippee!!!
    I've finally found your post including your video... I adore your tags Anna-Karin!!!!
    I'm going to look at the video now, I'm sure it's going to be great, thank you in advance!

    Enjoy your week with your two little boys and your art. For me one more day at work remaining and that's all!.. I'm so happy!! :D
    Hugs Coco xxx

    ReplyDelete
  29. The video is fabulous, thank you Anna-Karin!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ah I am so happy to be back and catching up on my blogs. I have missed all this and I love that you showed how to do this. I have no mojo at the moment I think I have been out of it for too long and I don't know where to start. I love all things TH, Ranger, Sizzix :D will have to try this out. I have just got some of the glaze. I need to find some really nice watercolour paper. THank you for sharing. Hope you are now fully settled and enjoying your new home. Hope the boys are ok.... <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!