Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Halloween Apothecary Tag Tutorial

Hi everyone! Halloween crafting is such fun, since you can go a little extra crazy with the projects, and since my son loves these spooky projects. They all seem to end up in his room. I have a little tutorial to share with you today, for a tag using new idea-ology products by Tim Holtz.

I had fun combining rub-ons and stamps to create the background. The new Curiosities Remnant Rubs are very cool since they have areas which are white, as you can see, for instance on the skeleton above. This tag is easy and quick to make. Let's start. 

Start by applying rub-ons to a manila tag. The frame is stamped with Jet Black ink. 

Ink the background with an Ink Blending tool. As you can see, the rubons resist the ink, and the result is even more obvious in the case of the rubons with white centers.

Use the Distress Sprayer to splatter water droplets on your tag. If you press the lever down half way, the sprayer produces water drops, instead of a fine mist. I love this feature of the sprayer, so cool. If you press it all the way, you get a fine mist. My Distress Sprayer sometimes gets legs and walks out of my studio, I then discover that Anton has been using it to mist all kinds of things in his room and elsewhere. 

Dab silver paint on a Wicked Alpha Parts word, for a cool textured effect. Leave to dry. 

I dyed the crinkle ribbon with Dusty Concord and Black Soot, there is also a glittery black ricrac ribbon from the Halloween Trimmings set. I used to love ricrac, I don't know why I haven't used it much lately. The circle embellishment is from the Oddities Adornments set. 

A few ephemera labels were sanded and inked and glued to the tag. I like the resist effect from the rubons.

These Crypt Cameos are such spooky Halloween embellishments, and it fit perfectly inside the stamped frame. 

I thought this man looked a bit like a scary apothecary. The image comes from the Regions Beyond paper stash. I sanded, inked, distressed and stamped on the image. 

Aren't these Regions Beyond brads cool? I like a brad, since it is both decorative and functional at the same time. If you look closely on this photo, you can see a little orange seed that ended up on the tag when I photographed it. I hadn't even noticed it until now.

The silver paint gives a great effect to the Wicked Alpha word. I used some spiders and bats from this same set on my Zombie Flip Frame tutorial. 

Thank you so much for looking!

Happy Halloween crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:





8 comments:

  1. Great tag! So cute that Anton borrows your Distress Sprayer. Maybe he is a future artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully done! Love the cameo inside frame and the fact that most of your creepy creations end up in your sons room. His room must look amazing. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halloween crafting is fun. Your tag is so spooky and festive. Love the metallic effect on the alpha parts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is AMAZING!!! Love the technique for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna-Karin your talent is beyond!! i have all these supplies and must try my own hand at it!!! your colour combination is perfection! thank you so much for sharing with us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That man, I believe, is Edgar Allan Poe. So, good choice on the picture, fits perfectly for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is right Kendra! I thought I recognized him from somewhere. Thank you for letting me know!

      Delete
  7. J'adore ! J'adoreeee ! Amazing tag !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!