Monday, February 4, 2013

Off to Neverland

Hello! This week we have another fun challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show, 'Ever after', focusing on being inspired by a fairytale, with lots of possibilities. This could be anything from a classic tale, a quote, being inspired by a fairytale character, or do a project with a once upon a time kind of story. I can't wait to see all the interpretations on this theme, and don't miss the wonderful projects of my DT team mates.

I had lots of fun making my layout:
 
I read a lot of stories to my son and thought it was a fun idea to let him fly to Neverland together with Peter and Wendy, on a layout. I used Artistic Outpost's Neverland stamps, background and sentiment stamps from Tim Holtz, and balloons and clouds from Hero Arts. I used Distress Stains, Distress Ink, die cuts, stamps and mists to create the little scene.

I used watercolour paper as the base of my layout since I knew I was going to use a lot of water. The houses were die cut from Eclipse tape using the Artful Dwellings die, which is a favourite of mine. Eclipse tape is great for masking and can handle a pretty large amount of water without anything seeping through. I adhered all the tape houses to the base of the layout, and then left them there until the background was done. I saved the negatives, since I wanted to use them too. The 'dream' was die cut with the Typeset die.

The clouds and moon were white embossed. The background was misted with water to help the Distress Stains blend and then I swept Distress Stains (Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky, Faded Jeans, and Chipped Sapphire) in a streaky motion over the paper, leaving some areas the white of the paper. I prepared two mists from Distress Stains, one with Picket Fence and one with Chipped Sapphire (Check this video by Tim Holtz for how to do this). When the background was starting to dry, I misted it with the Chipped Sapphire mist and then added some more when it was totally dry. You get a different effect when you mist on dry or wet paper. I also misted the background pretty heavily with Turquoise Perfect Pearls mist. When everything was dry again, I splattered it with the Picket Fence mist, by removing the mist applicator from the mini mister and tapping it against my finger.   

The balloons and Wendy and Peter were stamped with Archival Jet Black ink on Ranger's Specialty Stamping paper. When dry, they were coloured with Distress Inks (Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky) and cut them out. I cut off the stamped strings from the balloons and gave them real strings instead.

The background was stamped with sentiments and birds and I found a black and white photo of my son that worked real well. I cut it out and added a bit of Tumbled Glass to his shirt to make him blend in nicely.

When the background was done, I removed the Eclipse masks and painted the houses with a paint brush and Black Soot Distress Ink (applied to my craft sheet and misted with water). I left it to dry and then white embossed sentiments on some of the houses. Texture was added to the houses by stamping with different background stamps, using the negative Eclipse tape shapes of the houses as masks, to protect the background and surrounding houses.

Another sentiment was stamped on a Tattered Banner and a number one and windows were die cut from a Tim Holtz Mirrored Sheet.

Show us your projects inspired by fairy tales this week, and you could be the lucky one to win a $50 gift voucher from our sponsor Simon Says Stamp - or to be picked as one of our top three projects.


Thank you so much for the visit! I hope you will have a lovely week!

Happy Crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Stamps: Artistic Outpost Neverland, Think and Wonder; Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz: Ultimate Grunge, Warehouse District, Wallpaper & Wood, Mixed Media, Mini Ornates, Going Somewhere; Hero Arts: Halloween Moon CG369, Wish Big CL576,
Dies: Sizzix Artful Dwellings, Tattered Banners, Cargo Stencil Numbers Set, Mini Openings, Typeset
Ink: Distress Ink: Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky, Black Soot, Chipped Sapphire; Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black
Stain: Distress Stain: Tumbled Glass, Stormy Sky, Picket Fence, Chipped Sapphire, Faded Jeans
Mist: Ranger Perfect Pearls Turquoise
Embossing powder: Ranger Seafoam White
Adhesive: Judikins Eclipse Art Masking Tape,
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-Ology Mirrored Sheets; Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper; watercolour paper
Embellishments: twine

15 comments:

  1. Hi Anna-Karin, what an adorable piece, your son looks so cute holding the balloons. I love your take on this weeks challenge and the scene is perfect. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-Karin....I so love this piece! Your sweet little son hanging onto the bunch of balloons and flying over your wonderful creation of Neverland is so inspired! Love your sky background done with Distress Inks. Love your Artful Dwellings with the wonderful sentiments as Neverland. This is a really wonderful interpretation of the theme! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! love the houses the sky and your sweet boy! What a lovely and sentimental art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utterly enchanting... that misted sky is just beautiful, and I love the texty balloons your son is floating away on! Gorgeous metallic houses with the fabulous white quotes - altogether a delicious piece, yet again, Anna-Karin...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Anna-Karin! Fabulous project! I just love it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is precious! What a wonderful layout!!! I was transformed to the scenes of Mary Poppins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so wonderful and sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing...I saw this project and immediate I think about peter pan.
    really nicely done. I find it also humour that you son is going up.this is so look like a fantasy for him.
    beautiful done!! and also the text on this project are so suitable.
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute & creative project, Anna-Karin! I love the concept and the way you incorporated your son into it :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna-Karin, what a beautiful project. Thank you so much as you truly do inspire me. Carole xox

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a terrific piece, Anna-Karin! Love that your little boy is off to neverland! Thanks for this amazing challenge, I had fun with it! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautyfull project, i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh WOW Anna-Karin!!! This is over the moon amazing!! So many cool details and techniques to adore, not to mention your cutie son :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anna-Karin. I bet your son was pleased as punch to see himself flying off to Neverland. This would look wonderful framed. I love all the techniques especially on the gorgeous sky. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the ethereal feel of this page, Anna-Karina, and your son's photograph is precious. I just ordered the key hole dies, so thanks for the idea of different ways to use them. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!