Monday, February 18, 2013

Metal-ology Tag

Hello! This week our challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show is 'metal-ology', so we are focusing on anything metal: real of faux metal, metal paint, embossing, metallic embellishments, anything you can think of. I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with for this great theme. You mustn't miss the projects of my fellow DT members, simply stunning.

I love using metal on my project, both real metal and techniques that produce faux-metal effects. I made a heavy metal tag, and it was so much fun to make.

This whole tag is basically metallic, either real metal or faux-metal effects: foil tape, metallic alcohol ink, metallic embossing and metallic embellishments. I took some photos while I this. First the background, which is inspired by Tim Holtz:

I die cut gears, a flourish and a number from grungeboard, and also kept the little dots from inside the gears. They were all glued to a manila tag.

I covered the tag with foil tape and pressed it down in between and inside the shapes as well as possible.

The tag was completely inked with alcohol inks (pitch black, juniper and ginger), letting it dry a short while and then going over it a second time. Let dry completely,

I removed most of the ink with steel wool, until I was happy with the result. Black eyelets were set inside some of the gears.

The wings were lots of fun to make. First I die cut them using Tim Holtz Layered Angel Wings die, from one of my favourite surfaces, Wendy Vecchi's Clearly for Art modeling film. The die coordinates perfectly with the Wings embossing folder (to the right on the photo).


The three pairs of wings were embossed. Love this look.

I inked them with Silver alcohol ink and just a tiny touch of black.

I wasn't sure what would happen to the embossing when I heated up the wings to shape them a bit. You don't want to heat them too much. Work on one at a time and shape it quickly, don't heat it up again. If there was no embossing you can reheat modeling film until you are happy with the result, but if we keep reheating these, the embossed pattern will become less and less visible. Cool, aren't they? I layered them together and stapled them in the centre with my tiny attacher.

A heart and an arrow were die cut from grungeboard and embossed with maybe three layers of UTEE, finishing with one layer of Platinum embossing powder, creating faux-metal embellishments. I carefully let a game spinner fall into the hot UTEE on the arrow (be careful, it is hot, don't touch the UTEE at all). I stamped a sentiment into the heart.

Even the crinkle ribbon got a metallic treatment. It was dyed with Black Soot and Brushed Pewter Distress Stain.

I also used some metal embellishments. Black paint was rubbed into the sentiment of the Word Band. I attached it by wrapping a wire around the tag. I also found a broken ball chain on my desk and inked it with Pitch Black alcohol ink.

Black paint was rubbed into the words on the heart, but I almost regretted having done it, I liked the heart better before. The wings look really cool in real life.

The bulb was inked with Pitch Black alcohol ink and I also added some gears and another game spinner.

Another close up of the arrow.

I hope you will show us your projects using metal this week, as always, our great sponsor Simon Says Stamp gives a $50 gift voucher to one random participant.


Thank you for coming by! Have a great week!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin
Supplies:
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Flourish & Wings
Stamps: Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz Stuff to Say
Stain: Distress Stain Black Soot, Brushed Pewter
Alcohol ink: Adirondack Juniper, Ginger, Pitch Black, Silver
Paint: Adirondack Pitch Black, Juniper
Embossing powder: Ranger Clear UTEE, Liquid Platinum

32 comments:

  1. WOW WOW WOW what a totally amazing metal tag, all the embelishments, layers and textures are incredible. This is a metal tag at it's best and I love it
    Ria

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, so manual ayers of wonderful metal. I love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have found your blog by blog hopping. This looks amaaaaaazing!!!
    I admire all the techniques you've used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Love the beautiful details and the faux metal is one of my favorite techniques and your heart is beautiful! Gorgeous tag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning Anna-Karin and thanks for sharing the steps of the process! It certainly takes some effort, but the results are so worth it! Fabulous tag! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Anna-Karin!!! What a beautiful piece! I love love the Wendy Vecchi Clearly For Art wings and how you have incorporated them on this piece. Love the faux embossed background! Love all if your elements! Hugs, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning! Love all the different metal techniques you have incorporated into this tag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anna-Karin, fabulous metal tag, love the wings and your metal background is fabulous. This tag looks so tactile and I love the UTEE too. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my new fav of yours!!! Love the whole design...molten heavy metal magic!!! PINNED!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cool tag, Anna-Karin! I really love the way you added texture!! :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic tag Anna-Karin! Love the amazing textures, and the cute heart especially.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally AWESOME!! =)Thanks for sharing I LOVE the way this turnd out and for the step by step photos!! Have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna-Karin,
    Love coming by your blog to see what you are up too. This tag is amazing, with so many details and different techniques to make metal embellishments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, this is stunningly gorgeous! I love the design and all of the techniques you used! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a stunning creation, love the techniques and the end-result.
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scarily good... the stamped sentiment in the UTEE, and that dropped game spinner; fabulous metal wings, amazing dimensional background... I really don't know where to stop!! Amazing...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful Anna-Karin, I love every detail of this tag. You truly are an inspiration, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohh Anna-Karin! This tag is amazing! Love to see your step by step, because I was puzzled how you did it! I love it! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, Anna-Karin, this is STUNNING. Love all the texture and the wings... the sentiment pressed into the heart.... ai yi yi, it's juve lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anna-Karin, what a fantastic tag! You really did a great job! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is amazing! Thanks for showing the step by steps too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, I love this creation, it's amazing, the wings are a cool addition to tag… i love how you have added different layers and textures… it is great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing ! Thnak you for the step by step tutorial !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Astonishing!!!! So many amazing techniques all in one post! Thank you SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is FANTASTIC! When you stop to think that it's all on a tag, it kind of blows my mind. The attention to detail and all you have added to this piece is flat out amazing. Just LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so in love with this project. Thank you so much for putting together such an amazing tutorial. I can't wait to give it a try. And of course, I shared it on my blog so my readers can try it too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. absolutly fantastic!!!!
    hugs juanita

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!