Monday, July 21, 2014

The Sea Watercolour Layout

Hi and welcome! I can't believe July is soon over, it just seems to have disappeared. This week we have a mid-summer challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Do a summer project, or interpret it to mean something like heat embossing. Lots of options!
 
I already did a project using a photo from the Swedish Midsummer celebrations, see this Configurations Book. When thinking of what to do for this challenge, I came up on a photo taken a few years ago and decided that it was time to do something with it. I extended the scene in the photo with watercolours. After picking and mixing my colours - you always want to mix enough paint before starting, I simply sketched some lines continuing the photo onto the background.
 
I painted the sky by first applying clean water to the sky area and then a wash of blue and blue-grey. The clouds were lifted out with a tissue paper. When the sky was dry, I continued with the sand banks, dropping in a darker shadow colour and finished with the beach. Some dry-brushing was done to add texture. I also stamped a Tim Holtz flower with Frayed Burlap ink, misting the inked stamp with water before stamping. I was a little heavy handed with the tracks in the sand, and they are not quite as I wanted them to be.
 
A few birds were painted in the sky, and I sanded the edges of the photo to make it stand out a little. The title was done with Industrious stickers and since there were red elements in the photo, I stamped two compasses with Red Geranium ink and cut them out.

I stamped a Tim Holtz sentiment into the sand with Potting Soil ink and added a little Heart Charm. Linen Ribbon is perfect for a beach feeling, especially if you pull it apart a little bit. I also added some twine.

Tim's Sizzix mini Seahorse die is so cute. I die cut them from mat board and dropped some watercolour paint onto them, letting the paint mix the way it wanted to. The eyes are pearls with a dot added with a marker.

I also stamped some mini Nautical Blueprints with Tree Branch ink, cut them out and inked them lightly.

I couldn't help myself, but just had to add a quote too. I liked this quote since even though you don't see the sea in this scene, it is very clear that it is close by.
 
I hope you'll join us in our mid-summer challenge, and as every week, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
 
 
Thank you for looking! Enjoy summer!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Dies: Sizzix: Mini Sand & Sea
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Words for ThoughtNature's Moment, Warehouse District, Mini Blueprints #6
Ink: Archival Ink: Potting Soil, Red Geranium, Tree Branch; Distress Ink: Frayed Burlap, Gathered Twigs
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Linen Ribbon, Chiseled Industrious Stickers, Heart Charms
Tools: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Tiny Attacher; Sizzix: Big Shot

20 comments:

  1. Oh my! That watercolor background is stunning. I love it! And it creates a beautiful base for your pretty stamping and embellishments. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nothing short of amazing! I am so impressed and inspired by the gorgeous watercoloring you did! Wow! You've got some skills there for sure! And the way you added the photo to the background makes such a visually stunning piece. This is one of my favorites of yours and I can't stop looking at it! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so wonderful-I just love how you've extended the scene with your watercoloring. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative way of creating this page for a book... wonderfully done Anna... I love the colors and the little TH cut outs... the seahorses eye really are cute... love the whole page... very nice trip for me... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally stunning background, I am in awe of your talent :)


    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful work of art Anna-Karin! Your watercolored scene looks outstanding! Love all the seashells and seahorses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a work of art Anna-Karin. I just love it. Clearly you have loads of artistic talent too... Gorgeous and inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree with the above comment...this is stunning. I want to hang it on my wall. Thank you for explaining your technique and creative thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a stunning page-I really love how you extended the scene in the photo into the canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing love how you put the two together and made it work beautifully. Great touch to all of this artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love everything about this, especially the quote! Beautiful artwork. :-) Very inspiring!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, love this watercoloring piece, Anna-Karin! It's really pretty! Absolutely stunning! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. The watercolored background is amazing! Love all the details you designed, Anna-Karin :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! This is amazing Anna-Karin!! The details are outstanding and the actual artwork is fabulous ~ absolutely stunning as always and you're a very talented lady! Have a great weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous seascape! Love the watercolor background and how you framed it out and added the seahorse!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning layout! I adore your capability to use Tim's dies and stamps in this size , I'm not good with the layout, is a measure too big for me, when I see yours I am always amazed! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is not just a layout, it's a work of art, my friend! Every element in your page is in perfect harmony with its environment too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just so lovely! Awesome painted background!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!