Saturday, February 11, 2012

Scary stuff - CSI challenge #6

Happy Weekend everyone! Here's my layout for for CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration challenge #6. This is the case file:
Such a gorgeous colour combo and I loved the inspiration photo with the wood bench and the window. You can see the layouts of the rest of the team here. From the evidence items I used: clear elements, wood accents, papers with same colour but different patterns, pleating and metals. From the testimony items: journal about three things about your photo, a clear or vellum pocket.

I decided to do my layout on a printed transparency base. Some fun things to do with a clear layout base is to build layers with stamps and rub-ons, and to place things both behind and in front of the acetate. Clear layouts are hard to photograph. I placed it on a white paper first:

And here it is placed on black cardstock (so you can see the white rub-ons better):

Here I am holding it up in front of some doors, to try to capture the transparency:

The layout is about the three things that our little boy finds scary. Ghosts, monsters etc are not at all scary, but vacuum cleaners, showers and jumping castles are very scary indeed. Especially vacuum cleaners, they are the most frightening thing in the whole world. Jumping castles make a similar sound, which is probably why they are also not to be trusted.

Stars were stamped with Stazon on a piece of transperancy which was used as a pocket for the journaling. The woodgrain background is also stamped. Two pieces of Core’dinations cardstock were embossed with different patterns, sanded and stitched in place behind the layout.

The three stars are inspired by one of the techniques Tim Holtz showed during 12 tags of Christmas. Aluminium tape was adhered to glossy cardstock, chipboard stars were used as templates and then each star was embossed with a different folder. The stars were painted with paint dabbers – mixing three colours to get the right shade of green for the green one. After they dried, they were sanded, inked with Distress Ink (Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap) and then embossed with clear powder. The powder seals the ink, which would otherwise not dry on a metallic surface. The three metallic arrows got the same treatment.

The ghosts were stamped on white paper and covered with glossy accents.

Ghost letters were painted with a mix of black and brown acrylic paint and scraped lightly when dry.

The gears were painted silver, sanded a bit and then inked with Frayed Burlap.

Finally, some details were added with rub-ons and stamps and a strip of washi tape was pleated.

Thank you for visiting! I hope you can play along with us!

Supplies: Hero Arts Woodgrain Pattern S5100, Starry Sky S5448, Panduro ghost stamps; Hambly screen print; Tim Holtz Sizzix embossing folders; Cuttlebug gears embossing folder; Core’dinations Shabby Shutters cardstock; Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap Distress Ink; Stazon Jet Black ink; Lemonade, Lettuce, orange, Willow, Pitch Black, SIlver and Espresso paint dabbers; BasigGrey Life of the Party paper; HS ghost letters; Making Memories rub-on letters; American Crafts, Maya Road and BasigGrey rub-ons; Tim Holtz metallic arrows; You Do washi tape; Glossy Accents; Enmarc and 7Gypsies chipboard.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute pic and adorable layout, take care, Doreen x


Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!