Sunday, February 3, 2013

Let your light shine

A new month and a new challenge at Craft a Scene. This month we are focusing on 'Letting your light shine', namely on lighthouses. I always liked lighthouses and the light in the dark that they give to lonely travelers on the sea.

My first scene for this month:
I wanted my lighthouse to shine on a hopeful sentiment which seemed to fit with the night of rough seas that the little boat has to navigate through. I used Stampscapes stamps on this scene and they were all stamped with Archival Jet Black ink on glossy cardstock. I used a stamp positioner for the sentiment, so make sure it was in the right place and that it was straight. The scene was coloured with dye inks using a Colorbox Stylus tool, as normally starting with the lightest shade (Aqua) and gradually building up colour. For this technique, see this tutorial or one of Kevin Nakagawa's videos.

I wanted a streaky impression of light shining on the sentiment and the Stylus tool works so well for that. I used a craft nib for some of the waves, to avoid colouring over the areas I wanted to keep white. The sky is dark and filled with stars, applied with a white gel pen. Finally, some mist and shine was added by dry-brushing white pigment ink on the scene. Have you seen the new Stampscapes stamps? They are awesome, I can't wait to start inking them up.

Thank you for looking and I hope you will join us this month!

Happy Stamping!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Stamps: Stampscapes: Fishing Boat 164A, Rocks and Waves 235E, Waves Medium 287E, Light, Rocks & Waves Sm. 306E, Sentiment Sheet 5
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black; Distress Ink: Evergreen Bough, Broken China, Tumbled Glass; Adirondack: Aqua, Stream, Denim, Pitch Black
Surface: Kromekote glossy cardstock

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant Anna-Karin, so atmospheric. I love it. Great blend of colours. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! You have such a wonderful talent with colour x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful piece... glowing! And that quote is just glorious too...
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another gorgeous scene and this one has a favorite color of mine turquoise. I love this scene!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!