Monday, July 27, 2015

Textured Brusho Tag

Hello friends! It is Monday again and a new Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge is up and it is not your regular paper. There are so many cool specialty papers, so you will have a lot of options for this challenge.

I used a whole bunch of different papers and surfaces on this tag. Watercolour paper is not really a specialty paper for me, since it is pretty much one of my go-to papers, it might even be the paper that I use the most. If you have never tried it, I encourage you to do so, the effect you get with watercolour techniques is hard to beat with any other paper. I used my new Brusho crystals for the background, a very cool watercolour paint in crystal form. I will be doing a video on it as soon as school starts again. 

I also used Simon Says Stamp Birch Wood Veener paper, and Tim Holtz Textured Surfaces.

The background was done by misting the tag with water and sprinkling a tiny bit of Brusho crystals on top. You only need a very small amount. I misted it one more time to help spread the paint. The butterflies were die cut from wood veneer paper and stamped with the Tiny Alphabet stamp. I love this sentiment from the One With Nature set, as well as the other sentiments in the set.

Here's a close up of the cool Brusho colour. I love watercolour and I am going to have fun with these crystals. 

The leaves were stamped on cork with Jet Black ink and cut out. There is also a coordinating die set.

I gave the butterflies a game spinner body. 

I also added a Tiny Vial, this one has such a cute shape. It was filled with mica flakes that I found on a path on one of my bike rides. You could also use Prima's mica flakes. I pierced two holes in the tag and twisted a wire around the vial.

I also added some burlap, and a piece of twine and Linen Ribbon, to add even more textures to the tag.

I hope you will join us in our challenge and explore some to you new surfaces to work on. As always, one lucky participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

Thank you for visiting today!

Happy crafting!



Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Shabby Pink Mug Tutorial

Hello everyone! I have a quick tutorial to share today, for Eileen Hull's July Art With Heart challenge - make it 3-D.

I love 3-D projects, as you probably know. Here I used the Make-It-3-D die, which is a great die letting you turn normal dies into 3-D projects. I used the Mug & Spoon die to make a shabby distressed mug, together with some fun DecoArt Media paints and medium. You can find another version of this mug here.

The Make-It-3-D die has three different strips which will help you create 3-D projects out of almost any die. To find more examples where I used this die, have a look at this Luggage Tag Box. You need the Extended Cutting Pads to die cut the Make It 3-D strips, using this sandwich: Extended Cutting Pad, die facing up, mat board, second Extended Cutting Pad. 

Start by die cutting two mugs and one of the three strips on the Make-It-3-D die. 

Emboss the mugs in the great Travel Words folder. Remember to make the mirror images of each other, so that the handles will face the same way.

Coat the mugs with a thin layer of gesso.

Mix a tiny bit of Quinacridone Magenta into Tinting Base to make pink. The Tinting Base is a great mixing base and you need very little paint since the Fluid Acrylics have such high pigment content. 

When the pink paint is dry, paint with white Antiquing Cream. Let dry. The Antiquing Cream gives a really great distressed effect. 

Wipe off as much Antiquing Cream as you want to with a slightly moist paper towel or cloth.

Die cut flowers and butterflies from old dictionary paper using the Birds & Butterflies and Sweet Treats For You sets. 

Layer the butterflies and flower together, adding a brad to the flower centers and a tiny staple to the butterfly.

Crumble them up to create dimension with all the layers of paper. 

Assemble the mug by applying strong adhesive, such as Ranger's Wonder Tape, along the flaps of the 3-D strip.

This is the other side of the mug. I like using different embellishments on the two sides.

Glue the flower and swirls to the mug and add a few pearls.

Glue the butterfly to the other side of the mug with a body die cut from white paper.

The embossed words together with the distressed effect of the Antiquing Cream give a nice look to the mug and are very easy to do.

I love this embossing folder, since it contains so many great words, and not only for traveling projects. 

Thank you so much for looking! I hope you'll join us in the July challenge, and there is a great prize to be won too.

Happy crafting!



More supplies:
Paint: DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics: Quinacridone Magenta
Medium: DecoArt: White Gesso, Tinting Base, White Antiquing Cream