Saturday, December 15, 2012

CSI case file #50: with a mega pop-up

This week we have another lovely case file at CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration and a fabulous reveal from the DT and guests. Don't miss checking out all the layouts.


I made my layout on 13 December, which is when Lucia is celebrated in Sweden (you can read more about this tradition here, if you are interested). I was inspired to do a Lucia layout, with a surprise element, a very large pop-up.

From the evidence items I used: ribbon, something transparent, something shiny, something that melts and string. I documented a holiday tradition, also very much associated with light (inspiration word). These photos are some of the last photos of my grandmother and were taken when we visited her at the hospital, relatively shortly before she passed away. I've wanted to scrap them many times, but never have, partly because they feel a bit sad. I am happy to have documented this memory now. I wrote a long piece of journaling about Lucia celebrations, visiting at the hospital, my grandmother and about when she passed away.

When I was eleven my hair was cut in a terrible short haircut which I hated immediately, here it is busy growing out again, but that took a long time. My sister is dressed up as Lucia, I seem not to have wanted to this time, I can't remember why I am not wearing a white dress too, only the tinsel in my hair.

I used a patterned paper with a bird and music for the background, the bird because it has a special meaning relating to my grandmother, the music because Lucia is a celebration focusing on songs. A music stamp was white embossed here and there, as well as a frame and an angel stamp. I liked the layered look of the background.

The holly branch was dry embossed on kraft resist paper, sanded, cut out and smeared with Distress Stickles Rock Candy. The star was cut with the Star Bright die, also coated with Rock Candy stickles and glued to the page.

Inside the frame, I stamped the first line from the main Lucia song. I wanted to use this pretty star stamp by Hero Arts, but it was too big for my layout, so I stamped it with brown Stazon on shrink plastic, punched a hole, and then shrunk the stars. Perfect size, love shrink plastic. I coated it with Glossy Accents for a more finished look.

The white embossed angel is holding one of the stars.

The flowers were made by first stamping a stamp with Swedish Christmas songs on white paper with Frayed Burlap and then die cutting it with the Mini Poinsettia die, adding a piece of rose trimmings in the centre.  I also had to use tinsel, since tinsel in your hair is a big part of Lucia. The blue paper you can see at the bottom is embossed with a Poinsettia folder and sanded.

Pop-ups aren't only for cards (also see this mini-book), but can be a great place for adding extra photos, journaling and embellishments on layouts, and adds a real fun interactive element. I wanted to try Karen Burniston's folding technique for doublewide pop-ups - check this awesome video. This layout has a real mega big pop-up, the whole photo panel lifts up to reveal a pop-up that stretches almost across the entire page. I placed the title on the pop-up label, and my journaling just in front of it. I used my base tray to cut the pop-up and made the cardstock as wide as possible, so that it would still go through my Big Shot.

The letters were die cut with the Word Play die, from a mirror sheet from Tim Holtz, and then again from white cardstock, to create a thin shadow.

There wasn't space for elements to be added at the top of the pop-up label, because they would show at the front when folded down, instead, I made a little lantern with the Flagpole w/Lantern & Sign die. The lantern was cut from the same paper as the star on the front and the centre piece from white cardstock, inked and covered with stickles. The bar it hangs from was cut twice from white cardstock to make it sturdier and then coloured with Brushed Pewter Distress Stain.

I used stamps from Ali Edwards that fit very well with these photos. I also white embossed the same music stamp as on the outside.

These candles are one of my first stamps, they were stamped on white paper and softly coloured with coloured pencils. Candles are a major part of Lucia. I also stamped the Christmas carols stamp used on the Poinsettia flowers all over the white cardstock.


Here you can see the pop-up mechanism better. The letters really are mirrors, you can see the text of the journaling reflecting in them on this photo.

I hope you will join us this week! Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Have a lovely weekend!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Dies: Sizzix: Label 3-D Pop-Up die, Flagpole w/Lantern & Sign, Star Bright 3-D, Word PlayMini Cardinal & Poinsettia
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Textured Poinsettia Pattern Set, Holly Branch & Pine Branch set
Stamps: Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz: Mini Holidays 4, Holiday Wishes, Mini Ornates, Flourish; Hero Arts Wire Star K5610; Ali Edwards Technique Tuesday Favorite Memories; Wanda Candle; Stämpelboden Christmas song stamp
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Vintage Shabby paper stash, Holiday Pasts paper stash, Mirrored Sheets; Ranger shrink plastic; Core'dinations Tim Holtz kraft core cardstock; Core'dinations Tim Holtx color core cardstock
Ink: Distress Ink: Frayed Burlap; Versafine Vintage Sepia; Stazon Timber Brown
Stain: Distress Stain Brushed Pewter
Embossing powder: Ranger Seafoam White
Stickles: Rock Candy Distress Stickles; Star Dust
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Silver Tinsel Twine, Trimmings; 7Gypsies photo turn
Other: lace and trim; twine

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic! So wintery and at the same time so warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. I loved reading about all the tiny details which make up the intricate page. your art is inspirational. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you were able to scrap these special photos and memories. The techniques are wonderful, as usual. Love the mirrored letters and the hanging lantern! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely gorgeous - the white embossing is so fabulous against the delicate sepias, and you have created such a beautiful page for these photographs which mean so much, a real tribute to your grandmother.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing page, Anna-Karin! The amount of thought and work that went into this blows me away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gosh Ankan! so glad I could check out all the close-ups for the delish details. Soooo much work gone into your page! Absolutely marvellous! xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!