Saturday, January 28, 2012

CSI4 - Söstra Mi/ Sister mine

I can't believe it is already time for the fourth CSI: Color, Stories, Inspiration challenge. Here's the case file:


I loved this week’s combo and the inspiration piece is so much fun. From the evidence I used: wet medium, tulle, rhinestones. And from the testimony: write something unexpected about your picture, inspiration word 'wonder'.

For the topic and journaling of the layout I took inspiration from the story aspect of the challenge to journal about something unexpected about the photo. My theme also fits with the story-theme of January (Alice). The photo of me and my sisters was taken at a gorge where parts of one of our favourite movies when we were children were recorded. I loved the book too and can clearly remember when I walked to the library on my own to go and borrow it. The book (and the movie) is Ronja Rövardotter (Ronia the Robbers Daugther) by Astrid Lindgren. We sisters used a lot of phrases from the book, the title being one of them. The title is hard to translate, it is something in the line of ’sister mine’, a loving way of saying ‘my sister’. We still use it up to this day, even though the movie was released 28 years ago now, and the book is even older.

The background was inspired by the topic of my layout and by the inspiration piece to use wet mediums. First I stamped a script stamp using Broken China here and there. Then an alphabet background stamp was clear embossed three times, partly overlapping the script stamp (the clear embossed letters ‘trapped’ the script underneath. A butterfly was clear embossed in the lefthand corner. I had to mix three different colours Distress Ink reinkers to get the right shade of golden yellow for the mist (one dropper full of Wild Honey, four small drops of Rusty Hinge and two small drops of Vintage Photo). There is Perfect Pearls in the mist too, The clear embossed parts resist the mist creating a cool effect.

The story takes place in a forest and they live in an old fort, so I used some stamps to fit with that, as well as some book related stamps. Adirondack Stream is the perfect match to the teal colour of the combo. My dad wanted to throw away an old dictionary, but I saved it (such a treasure could not be tossed away!). I was happy to find a page with a map of the province where the photo was taken. I misted it a bit with Tumbled Glass reinker and marked the place with an arrow rub-on. I also added some other definitions from the dictionary. The photo was layered on another piece of dictionary paper, two sheets of old book pages (first distressed with mists), tulle and another piece of misted script paper.


 Some close-ups:


I wrote a lot of journaling about my memories from the book and the movie and particularly about what it meant for us, and all about all the phrases that we used from the story. It got very long, so I printed it on a piece of cardstock and placed it behind the layout. A circle punch was used to make a half circle at the top of the layout so that the journaling can easily be pulled out.


 I picked chapters that were meaningful for the theme of the page (‘mother earth’, ‘paper palace’).

 
Printed tissue paper was coloured with Distress Stain and I cut out some meaningful sections.


The piece of canvas was a left over coloured with Distress Stains.


The butterfly was stamped twice on ledger paper, misted lightly and layered with a piece of tulle in between. On the butterfly the words ‘outlook’ and ‘wondering’ are glued.

Thank you for looking! Check out the CSI site to see the layouts of the other DT members.

Supplies: Hero Arts Old Letter Writing S4878, Butterflies and Print CG328, Hero Arts and Studio Calico Alphabet Pattern ST501, I love books ST506; Beeswax castle stamp; Stampscapes Pine Row 150E and Gulls 302A; date stamp; Distress Ink: Broken China, Antique Linen; Distress Ink reinker: Wild Honey, Rusty Hinge, Vintage Photo, Tumbled Glass; Adirondack Stream pigment ink; Versafine Onyx Black; Distress Stain: Broken China, Tumbled Glass, Picket Fence; Perfect Pearls; BasicGrey and Prima patterned papers; BasicGrey and October Afternoon letter stickers; Tim Holtz tissue paper; Kaisercraft rhinestones; 7Gypsies rub-on; old dictionary and book pages; tulle.

3 comments:

  1. Anna-Karin, this is a wondrous and beautiful project. So much more than simply a layout - I just love the layers of rich meaning you have incorporated so beautifully. And now I want to read the book, if there's an English translation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the way you flawlessly pulled the colors into this layout- just FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This page is amazing! So much detail and so interesting too. I have 2 sisters and you never forget your childhood do you?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!