Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Tim Holtz Zombie Flip Frame Tutorial

Hello and welcome! I am very happy to have been asked to make samples with some of Tim Holtz new holiday products. It was like an early Christmas to open the box and find the treasures inside; Sizzix dies and embossing folders and supercool idea-ology products. It might be my favourite holiday release ever.

My first project is a Zombie Flip Frame. My son was with me when I opened the box and was almost as excited about the products as I was. His favourite is the Zombie Thinlits die. He loves Halloween and has a spooky zombie mask. We have been making a whole little community of zombies, in all kinds of colour combination and they have become a part of story time. Each zombie has its own voice and they go on all kind of adventures, together with Anton. I've made up a lot of zombie stories lately as a result of this die. I took step photos.

Here you can see all the dies included in the Zombie set. Basically, you build and layer the zombie to get a great dimensional and spooky guy. It is a little bit like building a model or puzzle, which is one of the reasons why my son loved getting a pile of zombie die cut parts and start building zombies. This would be a fun Halloween activity for children.

I picked a paper from the Regions Beyond paper stash for the main part of the head. The backs of these double-sided papers have great distressed and textured designs. These dies are Thinlits dies and work great together with the Sizzix Magnetic Platform. Use this sandwich: Magnetic Platform, Cutting Pad, paper, die facing down, second Cutting Pad.

Here you can see the paper pad and the resulting head.

Smear Distress Ink on a craft sheet and mist with water.

Press a piece of manila cardstock into the ink. When dry, die cut the outline of the zombie (the largest die) from this paper.

I used a mix of patterned paper, inky paper and kraft-core cardstock to die cut all the pieces for the zombie, as well as a DecoSheet golden tooth (which I forgot to include in this photo). By mixing the papers, you can get very different looks for the zombie, as well as for the Vampire and Monster dies, .

Stamp a spider and web here and there on the face.

Stamp a script stamp on the orange part with Hickory Smoke. This ink gives a great softer look than black ink.

Ink the edges with Walnut Stain and sand the kraft-core pieces. Fold the grey face along the score line, increasing the dimension of the zombie. Also fold the nose and ears. Glue the three teeth parts together and glue behind the grey face. Glue the nose, hair, neck pieces, and eyebrows in place. I splattered a little bit of red paint here and there.

For the panel itself, mount corrugated cardboard from the Textured Surface set on chipboard and tear a patterned paper from Regions Beyond. 

Sand the paper to reveal some of the textured of the corrugated card. This gives a great look to the paper.

Ink with Walnut Stain.

Add some of the Regions Beyond Design Tape to the panel and staple a piece of Halloween Trimmings ribbon at the bottom.

Fill an Apothecary Vial with Black Soot Distress Glitter. Sand a label and ink with brown ink.

Use foam dots to adhere the grey face to the orange background head. This gives even more dimension to the zombie. The black eye was also adhered with a foam dot. Isn't he fun? You can easily make him even more spooky.

Here you can see some of Anton's zombies. He has selected the colour combos with great care to make sure they are all different and they have their own little personalities. They sleep on his bedstand next to him at night and take part in daily activities. If you pre die cut a bunch of zombie parts, kids will love to sit and put these together.

I painted some of the Wicked Alpha Parts.spiders and bats with Walnut Stain paint and placed them here and there. I also used a few Frightful ephemera labels.

Here is a better look at this part of the zombie, with red kraft-core die cut in the centre of the wound and red paint and splatters.

The details on this die are amazing and it is such fun to assemble the zombie. 

You might already know that I love little details, and the gold tooth is one of my favourite parts of this project. The DecoSheets are so shiny and perfect for this.

I also used an Oddities Adornment adhered with a gem brad. It was distressed with Black Soot paint.

Here you can see one of the bats.

I attached the Apothecary Vial by poking two holes through the background and twisting a piece of wire around the bottle. 

At the top of the frame, I placed one of the fun Boneyard Resin Skulls. He is attached with tape and can be removed if I use the frame with other panels. 

Here you can see the dimension of the zombie a little better. The Flip Frames are such fun and perfect for home decor. I am going to make some panels for Christmas, and maybe autumn too, so I can change them. You can see another example of mine in this Fragments Flip Frame.

Thank you so much for looking! I will post more projects with the new Halloween products during this month. 

Happy crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:




58 comments:

  1. What a super project Anna-Karin! I love Anton's Zombies too! Thank you for sharing your talent for creating ...I know I can always find inspiration here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun! Looks like your son takes after his Mom. TFS Anna-Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic project Anna-Karin, I too love the little details and the dimension on the head. Anton's are also fantastic. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eerily fabulous and should be displayed with pride....all of them!!!! thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally blown away by this Zombie creation Anna-Karin - seriously INCREDIBLY and sooooo YUCKY too!! Love Anton's zombies... sooo neat to see. WONDERFUL... j.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have outdone yourself with him! LOVE, love, LOVE! Anton's are fab too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulously scary! And I love the idea of making a set for a child's bedside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is "monstrously" cool! LOL. Just spooky enough without being nightmare inducing. I love that your son has built his own little group of zombies to play with as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love him! What a fun project...and you detailed it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As I already wrote over at the Tim Holtz Blog that Zombie Flip Frame is awesome! At first, I thought that the zombie die isn’t for me (too spooky), but after I saw your project… I have to have it :-) It’s simply amazing spooky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous flip frame, love all the dimension.

      Delete
    2. Thank you!! The great thing with the zombie die is that it can be spooky, but it can also easily be turned into a pretty comical zombie.

      Delete
  11. I don't think I have had so much fun looking through someone's blog post for ages! I LOVE your fabulous Zombie (I adore Halloween) and Anton clearly shares your wonderful artistic ability, his Zombie's are amazing too. I said I was not going to buy any more dies but I may just have to break my promise now.... lol. Love what you have created! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anne! I am glad to hear you enjoyed my post so much!

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the fun behind the scenes look at your zombie. It looks amazing. Love how Anton is enjoying his Zombies too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome fun Anna Karin - this is brilliant x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anna, your project is fun but Anton's orange, green and black zombie is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a handsome dude, great project Anna Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  16. totally crazy about this!!! fantastic project and i LOVE that your little loves it too.bless his little soul!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WoW! This took so much imagination to create all those details. I'm in awe of your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The gangster gold tooth makes this project extra awesome! Fantastic work as always.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your zombie is SO cool! I love his gangsta gold tooth. Thanks for sharing your incredible project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wacky and fun. I always love your collages no matter what the subject. The details are fascinating. Anton did a great job on his collection; the colors are, indeed, well chosen. I can just imagine my son would have loved these zombies when he was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG ... the COOLEST Zombie ... the tutorial is wicked awesome !!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anna-Karin, that is so much fun! I love the dimensional aspect of these dies and the way you've embellished this zombies 'portrait' is spook-tacular,thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anna-Karin, you have completely stole my heart with this zombie portrait! And what a great idea to make seasonal portraits for this frame! I probably wouldn't have given this die a second look had it not for the creative way you have used it, and what a great idea to use the "parts" as a Halloween activity for kids--dare I say it, the adults might enjoy this activity, as well! LOVE your spooky creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara! I am sure adults would enjoy it too. It wound be fun with a jar full of zombie parts for people to assemble at a Halloween party.

      Delete
  24. WoW...and Wow again! What a great ghoulish project! so many details and layers! I love this....can't wait to get my hands on some of these new Halloween dies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Now I want a zombie die! I think it would be great for adults at a party, too. I love the stamping you did, and all the other details. You must have a lot of patience :-)) How fun that Anton is getting to be creative, just like his Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful frightful variety with the Zombie.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow!! Now this is spooky!!! Thanks for the tutorial!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow what a fun way to share with Anton your gift of creativity and to help him develop some terrific skills of his own. I love that the zombie community moves into other parts of his life including story time. Thanks for sharing similarly with us as you often mention alternative ways to use products and all the details in your tutorials!...Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jan! The zombies watch TV, watch over mealtime, etc. And they are still miraculously in one piece!

      Delete
  29. Great zombies....I love that your son has his own set of zombies with back stories and all. Thanks for the detailed look at the dies included in this set.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a fun project...thank you for sharing such a wonderful step by step tutorial. I love all the details, especially the gold tooth.

    ReplyDelete
  31. That is just too cool, fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my gosh! This is just awesome!! I can't get over how amazing this is.. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is an amazing piece of creativity! Anna- Karin Absolutely LOVE every last bit of it. The fun you had creating it comes through in your excellent tutorial . Thankyou so much for sharing . I love that Anton was able to share in your creative time - he must love having a very talented Mum like you . I think he has inherited your crafty fingers too xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. This project is fabulous all the wonderful dies and layers of beautiful products! awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Exactly who doesn't love Z O M B I E S ? I can't wait to get my hands on those thinlits...they are way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Exactly who doesn't love Z O M B I E S ? I can't wait to get my hands on those thinlits...they are way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fantastic Zombie Flip Frame Anna-Karin, I love all the details and the dimension on the head! Awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fabulous Zombie! Love all in your project, your Zombie is so cool!!!!!!! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  39. Excellent!!!! :D
    Fabulously spooky Anna-Karin hahaha, and I love Anton's zombie version too, very cute. :)
    Thanks for the tutorial, as usual no time to see all sadly, but when I find a bit of time I almays really enjoy coming on your blog and admire your fun or simply gorgeous creations!
    Have a great end of summer, hugs from France Coco X

    ReplyDelete
  40. SO cool Anna-Karin! you make such 'fun' zombies!!! great papers, stamps and splatter!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm lovin' it! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Awesome! I see that Anton has inherited his mother's creativity! As Paula would say "carry on".

    ReplyDelete
  43. What an awesome project! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Brilliant project, Anna-Karin!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!