Thursday, June 25, 2015

Flowers in Mason Jar Video Tutorial

Hello everyone! I've been planning to start doing video tutorials for quite a while, and now the first one is done. It is by no means perfect, but I rather practice with a real project, than doing test runs with projects that wouldn't be posted. 

This is a Sizzix tutorial and I made a mason jar filled with quilled flowers, done with Tim Holtz Tiny Tattered Florals die set. The flowers were made with Correspondence papers and I coloured the mason jar with alcohol inks. 

The actual making of the video was a little comical, and I had to cut out quite a bit of laughter. I started at my desk, but the lighting is not good enough in my studio so I wasn't happy with the result. Instead, I decided to move everything outdoors. It was a cloudy day, but the sun sometimes came out, so I dragged the table to a shadowy part of the garden, where I ended up being bitten by mosquitoes. You can actually hear the mosquitoes, as well as other outdoors sounds, on the video. The sound was better indoors, the light better outdoors. The wind blew everything off the table and into some bushes. And when I did the final part with the completed jar, it started to rain. :)

The video is maybe a little long, and I keep hearing language mistakes. I was also fighting with the legs of my tripod for space for my arms. My tripod is pretty large, and I need to figure out a better way of doing that part.  

Here we go:




And some close-ups:

These flowers are so fun and easy to make and you can make them in any colour or pattern. They look great in kraft-core cardstock too, as you can see in this burlap panel post.

My favourites are the flowers made from the text patterned papers. The small panels in Tim Holtz paper pads are perfect for these flowers, since the patterns are smaller. For the stems, I used floral wire, covered with tissue tape and coloured with alcohol ink.

The flowers were inked with Gathered Twigs and smeared with Rock Candy Distress Stickles, for some vintage shine. 

Use different shades of green kraft-core cardstock for the leaves, for variation.

If you want to subscribe to my YouTube channel, you can find it here.

Thank you so much for visiting today!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:



31 comments:

  1. Anna-Karin I could have used your video yesterday when I was making flowers!! Lots of great information...I now know I should have let my roses open up more before gluing. Thanks for all the tips. I'm ready to make more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! That definitely helps with the roses, especially the smaller ones.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic tutorial, Anna-Karin! Your English is perfect. Love those flowers, thank you for the tips. I'm signing up for your you tube if I can figure out how :-)) I heard those mosquito's, they sounded large and hungry. Your description of making the video was funny, but I bet it wasn't funny to you at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marci! The mosquitoes were very hungry! It was actually pretty funny, I had to cut away some laughter from the video, especially after the wind blew all the tiny leaves into a dense bush.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are being a little hard on yourself, your tutorial is excellent (as is your English!). Your flowers are delightful and I loved the sound of the birds in the background (but perhaps not that mosquito - lol). The length of your video is just perfect, you made everything so clear and gave us some great tips. I look forward to watching more now! Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Anne!! I liked the birds too, but maybe not the mosquitoes and air plane noise.

      Delete
  5. Great video Anna-Karin, very clear and wonderful instructions. Loved your flowers and mason jar . Thanks so much. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your video is wonderful! Your mini mason jar is wonderful! Amazing work! I love it! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome video Anna-Karin! This was an excellent tutorial to share in your first video...so much to learn by watching you! I am sure many other followers will be thrilled to see you doing videos since you always have so many details to share! Thank you for beginning this new adventure!....Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan!! I have lots of ideas for new videos. :)

      Delete
  8. I found you when our wonderful Paula mentioned you on her blog. Love your flowers and video. You had a lot of obstacles making the video but I am so glad you kept going since it is going to be a big help for me. I never thought to color a Mason jar with alcohol ink! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your first video Anna Karen I am thrilled to see you in action 😊 Great tutorial and great timing for me as I got this die set last week
    Thanks so much for inspiration

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry my phone put a question marks in place of smilies

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Shilpa! Enjoy your flower dies!

      Delete
  10. What a fabulous video tutorial Anna-Karin! Love the pretty flowers and the mason jar. The lighting and sound is perfect and so is your English. Love that you recorded outside! I tried to make a video tutorial several times, but my english is awful! I can't find the words I want to say and the sound and lighting is also very poor. Maybe I will give it another go in the future, Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandra!! It is a hard to find the right words, especially when you are busy showing things at the same time.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your first video. I enjoyed it very much. I'm looking forward to many more projects. They are always so inspiring. Thanks for all your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this! Reminds me of a Summer garden. And a wonderful video, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FABULOUS -= WONDERFUL-=HELPFUL-=EXCITING!! THANKS BUNCHES.j

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for making a video! You have amazing talent.

      Delete
  14. FABULOUS -= WONDERFUL-=HELPFUL-=EXCITING!! THANKS BUNCHES.j

    ReplyDelete
  15. Utterly stunning, Anna-Karin - I'd been on the fence about those mason jars, but you've tipped me over the edge! Your flowers look glorious.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison! The mason jars are real nice, I can't wait to see what you will create with them. They were much larger than what I thought when I ordered them (I rarely check the size).

      Delete
  16. I kept this wonderful post in my file to watch the video "in a few days." Here it is, more than a year later, and I finally sorted through that file and actually watched the video. I love, love, love the project! When those mini Mason jars became available, I knew I'd have to find a project I liked that would use them. I just sent this post to a crafting friend of mine and asked her if she would like to make some of these with me. Between the two of us, we have everything we would need, and it's the type of project that looks as though it could be fun to do with another person. Thank you so much for the inspiration – you did a terrific job with the video! You were so natural with the camera. Wonderful. Here's to many more crafting adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm back to say that I bought some of the Tim Holtz mini Mason Jars yesterday! We had a new crafting store open in our community and I was able to buy them for half price on opening day. Now that I have them, I will work on visualizing which flowers I'd like to put in them. I'm quite excited – thank you again for the lovely inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!