Monday, April 14, 2014

Spring Bird Burlap Panel

Hi and welcome! This week we are taking flight at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge blog with our Winged Things challenge.

My project this week is a textured bird burlap panel using mainly green and yellow, because I was in a spring mood. I love birds and wanted to ink up Tim Holtz Bird Feather stamp set again. For the background, I used Wendy Vecchi's new Crackled Texture Paste, which I have been having fun with lately (check out my Tall Grungy Houses and Crackled Frameworks tutorials). I took some step photos.

I started by smearing gesso on a 4 x 6 burlap panel.

When the gesso was dry, I smeared Crackled Textured Paste on the canvas, making it thicker in some places and thinner in other.

When the paste dries, crackles appear. I painted it with watered-down Distress Paints (Mustard Seed, Bundle Sage, Peeled Paint).

The crackle background was stamped with Archival Ink and a text background stamp. I made sure that the word 'art' would be visible in three places.

The bird was inked with Saffron, Leaf Green and Fern Green, starting with the lightest ink. I stamped it on Specialty Stamping Paper.

I covered grungeboard with Tim Holtz patterned paper. The smaller 8 x 8 prints work great for this, since the patterns are smaller and work better on die cuts. Two leafy branches were die cut.

The branches were inked with Distress Ink, not covering them completely.

I made a nest for the bird with dyed crinkle ribbon and Linen ribbon. If you pull the linen ribbon sideways, it gets broader and gets a more random look. I also frayed the edges.

For a sentiment, I used a Word Band with yellow paint rubbed into the words. The burlap panels have a wood background, which means that you can screw things into them, and I used a Screw Eye to hang the Swivel Clasp from.

A wood veneer potty lady stands on one of the leaves.

The Crackled Paste gives such a cool texture and it looks great together with the burlap.

From the Swivel Clasp, an Ornate Plate is hanging. It was painted with Distress Paints and sanded slightly when dry. I placed a small childhood photo of myself in the frame, taken during spring. There is a transparency in front of the photo, to protect it.

The Sprocket Gear was also painted with Distress Paint. I cut a small yellow circle, added a rub-on to it and placed it in a Memo Pin. It was coated with Glossy Accents for shine and when dry, placed within the gear, to look like a flower.

I hope you will join us this week in our Feathered challenge and don't miss checking out the wonderful projects by my fellow DT members. As always, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront

Happy crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Burlap Panels 4 x 6, Grungeboard, Menagerie 8 x 8 paper stash; Ranger Specialty Stamping Paper
Dies: Sizzix: Garden Greens
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Bird Feather, Classics #4
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Fern Green, Leaf Green, Saffron; Distress Ink: Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters, Crushed Olive
Paint: Distress Paint: Peeled Paint, Mustard Seed, Bundled Sage
Medium: Wendy Vecchi Stampers Anonymous: Crackled Textured Paste; Dina Wakley Ranger White Gesso
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Word Bands, Crinkle Ribbon, Linen Ribbon, Memo Pins, Swivel Clasps, Sprocket Gears, Screw Eyes, Ornate Plates; Studio Calico Wood Veneer: Potty People

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic ! I loved the colors ,textures a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifull ! An attractive creative moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, love love how you used the memo pin in the gears to create a quirky flower. Gorgeous crackle backdrop and choice of colour. Adore the bird and background stamping too. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. how wonderful - that crackled texture paste is genius - love the colours - everything - fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love the crackled background. The design is fantastic and the colors beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Spring! Love it. The cracked background is so yummy. Love the pic in the ornate plate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice for Monday morn here in NYC. The weather is delightfully Spring just like your wonderful canvas art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous and so much texture! NancyD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you enough how much I love this little canvas! Thank you for showing each step! It's gorgeous and I just love the frame and sprocket flower. So creative! Thank you for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a stunning creation, Anna-Karin. The crackled background and all the embellishments are gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful canvas! Your work is always so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so beautiful Anna-Karin. Love that crackle paste... will have to look for it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. As always, this is just stunning and I love all the textures and the beautiful colours that you've chosen to use combined with all the little details that make it such a feast for the eyes. It's beautiful Anna-Karin... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. o, dit is darem té pragtig! Dit is perfel, die kleure is so mooi op mekaar afgestem! Ek geniet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely glorious! A wonderful springtime creation, and the stamped crackled background is a dream. I've been doing lots of crackling... time to get the stamps onto it - thank you so much for the endless inspiration.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous burlap panel! I just love how you did the crackle look on the green paint :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  17. gorgeous hanging, Anna-Karin! Love the greens and the crackle! The ornament plate with your picture in it, is so sweet! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pieces are always unique and inspirational for me! This palette of greens is wonderful and the crackle effect is special about this project! Gorgeous work! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow - this is GORGEOUS! Love how you have hung all the left hand metals. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is beautiful made. beautiful colours!
    regards, Dora

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so utterly gorgeous! I love the color palette and you have such great attention to detail, as always. I really liked how you colored the sentiment that's inside the metal word band and I love how the crackle paint turned out. The subtle art stamp background is lovely and I love how you incorporated the sprocket gear. Everything works together perfectly and this was a true joy to see!

    ReplyDelete
  22. THis is so pretty! I would never have thought to do the crackle over the burlap and the results are just stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!