Monday, July 30, 2012

What do you say?

Hi everyone! This week the focus is on the words at Simon Says Stamp and Show, so let the sentiments and words take centre stage on your project. Don't forget to stop by the blog to see the inspiration from the rest of the design team. I am amazed every week at the gorgeous and varied projects.

I rarely make the sentiment the focus of a card, so this was a fun challenge for me, and I literary made the sentiment the center of the world on this card.

After deciding to use this great sentiment from Artistic Outpost, I thought it would go well together with the Sizzix Vintage Globe die. The globe was die-cut from grungeboard and watercolour paper, and the circle part was watercoloured with Distress Inks (Salty Ocean and Mowed Lawn), love these new colours. However, the result was a bit too bright for what I was planning with the card, so after the piece dried completely, I swept Antique Linen Distress Stain over the whole thing, as a glaze. This is a great way to tone down and age a watercolour piece that turned out a bit bright. It is very important to make sure the paper is completely dry first. The edges were inked a bit with Frayed Burlap.

The grungeboard was painted with gold dabber, sanded and scratched, and then inked with Walnut Stain, to create the look of an old and worn globe. Then the watercolour piece was glued on top.

To really showcase the sentiment I stamped it on one of my favorite products, clear modeling film. I die-cut a piece of film into a circle slightly bigger than the globe, stamped on top and when dry, heated the film with my heat gun and shaped it into a rough globe shape. It was attached with tiny staples. I loved the result. It was hard to photograph, but the dimensional globe looks great over the die-cut globe and the sentiment gives a fun shadow onto the land and sea.

Perhaps you can see the globe shape better on this photo. This card is pretty dimensional, not something to be sent in an ordinary envelope. The sentiment stamp even had a vintage globe included in the stamp. I also glued a little wood veneer bird to the globe. I love those little birds.

Since the sentiment is about turning the world around, I added some gears which help turn the globe around and also symbolize the thinking process. They were die-cut from grungeboard, painted silver and copper and distressed. I also added some game spinners as arrows and a piece of map from an old atlas.

The background is kraft resist paper which was inked first with Picket Fence Distress Stain and then with Broken China Distress Ink. It was misted heavily with Blue Patina Perfect Pearls, and is more shiny than you can see in the photo. Some tissue tape, twine and handstitching finished the card.

I hope you will play along with us this week! A random participant will win a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamps, and can do some fun shopping.



Thank you for stopping by! Have a great week!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Dies: Sizzix: Vintage Globe Bigz die, Mini Gears Movers & Shapers, Circle Framelits
Stamps: Artistic Outpost Typography
Inks, paints, etc: Distress Stain Picket Fence, Antique Linen; Distress Ink: Broken China, Mowed Lawn, Salty Oceans, Frayed Burlap, Walnut Stain; Perfect Pearls mist Blue Patina; Stazon Jet Black; Adirondack GoldSilver and Copper paint dabber;
Other: Stamper's Anonymous Wendy Vecchi Modeling Film Clear; Tim Holtz Idea-ology grungeboard, Kraft Resist paper, Symphony tissue tape, game spinners, tiny attacher; Studio Calico Wood Veneer BirdsHemtique twine; watercolour paper; old map paper.

15 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful... your curved globe is brilliant, and the colour and patina you've created on that kraft resist background is just beautiful. Gorgeous seamed, distressed borders too - love, love it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning piece my friend! Love the sentiment and the card matches it perfectly! Love that curved globe as well! So cool! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. The curved globe is such a fabulous focal point and looks incredible on top of these perfect backing papers and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna-Karin...I really love this card. I love the colors. I love the stitching. I love the gears and the metal game spinners. I love the twine you've wrapped around the card. Love the globe die cut and how you've finished it out. This took a lot of thought and I love how you've tied everything together to work so perfectly with your sentiment! Beautiful job. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there,move your piece this week, great idea to make the sentiment the focal point and I love how you have added it to the globe. The dimension achieved from the film is fantastic as are your embellishments. The stitching is the perfect touch. Beautifully executed. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so very beautiful! Love the texture and details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the gilded gear accents on this cool project - perfect touches!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this project - the gear accents are just the right final touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so in love with this card, Anna-Karin! The details are stunning and I love the sentiment!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cool! That would be a great piece for my classroom. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Outstanding .. I LOVE this card, great dimension to the globe and the quote is perfectly showcased, I also love the muted down tones of the new bright Distress Inks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I just say Brilliant! I really love this! The map in the background the way you used the globe with the overlay. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another BEAUTIFUL Project!!
    Inky Hugs,
    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. wowzer!!! super fabulous! love the globe think I will use this idea by recycling some objects at home. Thanks for inspiring us!
    hugs
    Leonie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!