Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Textured Snowflakes Tutorial

Hi friends! I hope you didn't miss any of the inspiration in Tim Holtz Halloween Inspiration Series. I made a Zombie Flip Frame and a Spooky Book Cabinet. They are both tutorials. Now we are starting with Christmas and today I am sharing a tutorial using some of the new Christmas products.

I missed most of my Christmas crafting last year because of our move, so this year I am going to enjoy it extra much. I love to make cards, but I don't often make more of one design, and instead enjoy doing several series of somewhat similar, but still different cards. This is also a great way of getting more out of your tools and products. Today I am going to share some ideas using the new Snowflake Duo die and coordinating Texture Fade, together with a resist technique using Distress Micro Glaze. 

Cut a 6 x 6 in watercolour paper. We are going to use the Sizzix Dimensional Cutting Pad to get the effect we are looking for. This pad works great for dimensional cards, even made out or only one sheet of paper. As you can see, there is a slot in the pad, and that means that the die will not cut the paper there. Use this sandwich: Cutting Pad, die facing up, paper with the rough side facing down, Dimensional Cutting Pad.

This is what the die cut paper will look like. Don't worry if it isn't perfectly centred, it won't show in the end. For more inspiration on how to use the Dimensional Cutting Pad check out my Fall Accordion and Dimensional Butterfly projects.

 Place the paper in the coordinating Texture Fade, which comes with the die. Emboss.

Smear Distress Micro Glaze on the embossed areas with your finger. You can also add some around the edges. On one set of snowflakes, I covered the snowflakes almost completely with the glaze, in the others, I used less. To see the glaze in action, check out this Distress Micro Glaze Resist video of mine.

Smear Distress Ink on your craft sheet and mist generously with water. Press the paper into the ink.

The Distress Micro Glaze will resist the ink. On the card to the right, I covered most of the snowflakes and the edges of the card with glaze, while I used much less glaze on the card to the left. Experiment to see what you like the best.

Stamp the cards with the text stamp from the Christmas Magic set, using Blueprint Sketch ink, and distress all the edges. I made a smaller card too, using only one snowflake.
 
Die cut words with the Handwritten Holidays set, from white cardstock and blue kraft-core cardstock. These detailed dies work great together with the Sizzix Precision Base Plate.

I die cut another panel from burlap for this card, it fits perfectly over the dimensional snowflakes.

Since the snowflakes lift up, it is fun to layer something underneath them and for this card I used a sheet of vintage book paper. On top of the snowflakes I layered burlap and two snowflake charms. 
 
Here is the completed card. I like the mix of textures on this one.

The pretty snowflake charms were attached with Long Fasteners.

I tore a piece of ephemera and inked the edges. The die cut word was slightly sanded and I also added a strip of ribbon from the Metallic Trimmings.

Here you can better see the dimension of the snowflake and the vintage text underneath it.

For the second card, I placed a piece of gold Deco Sheet under the snowflakes.

Here is the completed card, on a white cardbase. I added some pretty gold rub stars and a gold ribbon too.

In the centre of the snowflakes there is a Jingle Brad, which is such a clever new product.

These Handwritten Holiday words are so pretty, and work very well on Christmas projects. The white die cut was layered on a blue one for a shadow effect.

Here you can see the gold underneath the snowflake, wonderful vintage shine.
 
For the small square card, I layered a piece of paper from the new Yuletide paper stash, continued with the dimensional snowflake piece, and then added a burlap snowflake left over from the first card, and another embossed snowflake on top.

In the centre I used a Jingle Brad again and I tied the card with a sheer gold ribbon. The cardbase is blue kraft-core cardstock, which was sanded.

I like this layered snowflake with the two embossed snowflakes, the burlap and the patterned paper at the bottom. There is also a Gilded Holidays Remnant Rubs word.

You can see the dimension of this last snowflake a little better here. You could also add foam dots in between the snowflakes for even more dimension.

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Thank you so much for watching!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:




25 comments:

  1. Oh I am so loving this rockin' awesome snowflake distressed look! AMAZING! Such an inspiration and I will be trying these techniques for sure! Thanks so much for sharing this! I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally amazing! ! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna Karen your cards are so beautiful! I love the way you combined the burlap with the frosty white snowflakes. You always take each element to the next level to bring it from being a craft to feeling like art (and some of it truly is!)
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful Anna Karin, I love all the different textures and the wonderful colours you used. Beautiful cards! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are beautiful cards Anna-Karin! Love the snowflakes. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and what a great technique to use the distress glaze on the snowflake! I will definitely be giving this technique a try (I had that special cutting plate in my stash for a long time and have never used it!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. as always Anna-Karin.. simply beautiful creations

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these cards, it is like rustic Christmas. The blue is so pretty. I have that dimensional cutting pad. Great how to, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this snowflake theme turned out beautifully. Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouh la,la!It's really amazing:bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...love all the designs, colors and textures. Your work is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is genius Anna-Karin, your work is always lovely, great textures and love the contrast between the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are just lovely! I love the colors and the mix of textures.Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are breathtaking! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome cards ... such cool technique... burlap overlay ! And the dimensional snowflake with the ideology goodness... just awesome !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful cards! Thank you for showing us how you made it. Amazing!
    Dear greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely love your tattered snowflake cards. The mixed media backgrounds are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna- Karin thanks for this wonderful inspiration!!! Your mixed media snowflakes are so beautiful! love the color palette you used! barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful cards! Love the color palette you have chosen to showcase these snowflakes. That die/TF duo is definitely at the top of my wish list! Gorgeous inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful! Absolutely love the texture and distressed snowflakes. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous Anna-Karin, what a fabulous tutorial and your cards are spectacular, thanks so much for sharing them! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the texture you built in with the layers and that burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful textures and colours achieved, Anna Karin!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely love your textured snowflake cards Anna-Karin! Love the dimension and the texture you've created!!! Really wonderful tutorial! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!