Monday, August 3, 2015

Story Time Shadow Box Tutorial

Hello friends! I hope you had a good weekend! We have a new Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, it is Make a Plan, all about planners, plans and planning.

I started out with a different project than I ended up with. After thinking about daily plans and planning to have done a scrapbooking page about that, I thought about my son's daily plans regarding story time. He has a very specific bedtime routine, after having read a book, I have to make up a story. Every evening, I make up a new story, on the spot. It is a lot of fun and some of the stories end up being quite crazy. There is just one constant factor, and that is that he himself always feature in the stories, usually as the lead role. Instead of doing a layout, I made a shadow box, using mainly Prima products.

I took a few step photos.

My base is Prima's Square Tray, which come in a set of three. I used the mid-sized one in the set. Since I love shadow boxes I was happy to see these trays. Start by painting the box with gesso. When dry, add tissue tape around the edges, and on the outside edges too.

Paint the tissue tape with Antique Linen. If you want to, you can paint the rest of the box too, but I had already decided to use patterned paper for the background. Paint everything on the owl, except for the heart with the same paint. I love these resin owl shapes.

Distress the edges of the box, first with white paint and then with Walnut Stain. Dry-brush the paint onto the box, concentrating on the corners.

I cut a paper from the Bedtime Story paper pad for the background. The cute fairy tale castle was die cut with Sizzix Birthday Pop Up Card Thinlits set, which contains a lot of great shapes. I inked through the die with brown ink for the windows and backed the windows and door with black paper. The heart on the owl was painted with Cracked Pistachio Distress Paint. The owl was also dry-brushed with Walnut Stain. The wand was die cut from both patterned paper and Silver DecoSheet, using just the silver for the star. It comes from the same set as the castle. 

I glued Bedtime Story Wood Icons to the frame and added silver Micro Beads to them, using Glossy Accents.

The birds were cut from one of the patterned papers in the Bedtime Story pad.

The clock is linking both to story time and to this being a daily activity.

I tore hills from patterned paper and inked them. One of the hills have the three little mice and the text 'do believe'. I love such little details. I applied Glossy Accents to the bottom and first sprinkled mica flakes, for a touch of magic. After adding a little more Glossy Accents, I sprinkled silver micro beads on top. The mix of mica and beads look really nice and the beads fill up any space between the flakes.

The castle got silver bead roofs.

Join us in our planner challenge, and you might be the lucky one who wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp. The team also loves to look at all the submissions to the challenge. There is such a variety every week.


Thank you so much for looking!!

Happy crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:




15 comments:

  1. Wooow, it is so cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly charming! The whole canvas is such a sweet fairytale inspired vignette! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So charming and whimsical! I love the silver beads on the roof, and the little mice in the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So charming and whimsical! I love the silver beads on the roof, and the little mice in the hills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the mice and the mica beads, adorable. Such a cute piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! It brings back wonderful memories of story time with my sons when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How precious! I love the layering you have done with this. The beads and other decorations you have added make it so special.
    Children love their routines for bedtime and this is going to be such a sweet addition to your son's wall decor, And I can only imagine the amazing stories that will come from it.
    Cheers and thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so beautiful and what a sweet tradition!! Majorly awesome!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute shadowbox! Such a fun bedtime routine and it gives you and him much imagination I'm sure! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is wonderful Anna-Karin and the story behind your inspiration for your shadow box is so touching, what a wonderful way to remember those very special times with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a wonderful project! Anna-Karin. Love every gorgeous detail on this shadow box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful project and so full of charm ~ this is fabulous Anna-Karin and a lovely interpretation of the challenge theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so very sweet and I love the soft color palette! You've done this Prima collection proud and have picked the perfect there. I love storytime and really like how you've given your shadowbox that feel of fantasy and fairy tales. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful! The touches of silver are perfect accents for something this magical.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!