Thursday, August 27, 2015

Sewing Supplies Drawer Unit

Hi and welcome! I have a sweet little Sizzix project to share with you today. I don't use my sewing machine so often nowadays, except for on paper, but I did a lot of sewing growing up. I made tons of dolls clothing and also liked to make my own clothes. 

This little Sewing Supplies Drawer Unit was made with one of the new dies by French General, called Box w/Drawer. The dies are awesome, and certainly not only for sewing topics. You can see the whole release here. I had fun using some old and new embellishments to decorate my drawer unit. The papers are by Graphic 45, the Home Sweet Home collection. The project is smaller than you might think and very cute and dainty. It would work great for a dollhouse too. The finished drawer unit, excluding the stuff on top, measures 2.5 x 2.16 in. 

The little boxes were die cut from patterned paper. You can also skip the lid of the box and make open drawers. There is an extra die cut to place in between the drawers in that case. There are instructions for how to assemble project in the packaging insert. Use this die cutting sandwich: Extended Cutting Pad, die facing up, Extended Premium Crease Pad.

The 'frame' for the box was die cut from thin chipboard and covered with patterned paper. I inked all the edges and added a second layer of patterned paper. 

The basket and pair of scissors come from the French Icons #2 Framelits Dies w/Stamps set. The scissors were embossed with platinum powder and the box stamped with Potting Soil ink. I used the coordinating dies to die cut them. Use this sandwich: Sizzix Magnetic Platform, Cutting Pad, paper, die facing down, second Cutting Pad. The cute thread spool was die cut with the Sewing Basket & Supplies set, from wood veneer. I also added a vintage button and a safety pin.

I had fun decorating the top of the box. The measuring tape was done by adhering natural sticky-back canvas to cardstock and embossing it with the Ruler folder. I did two pieces and stapled them together (you don't really see the staples). It was inked and rolled up. I suddenly remembered the little sewing machine charm which I got more than ten years ago, and was pleased to manage to find it in minutes.  

Here you can see the measuring tape from behind, and some more buttons. I picked up a huge amount of vintage buttons years ago and always enjoy using them.

The pair of scissors was die cut and embossed with Platinum powder. I inked them with Black Soot ink to cover up any remaining white. The spool was die cut twice and glued together. I inked through the die with Walnut Stain.

I thought the little tea pot charm fit in here too.

 Here you can see the box from the top.

The other side of the drawer unit looks like this, with another sweet paper.

The stamped and die cut bee comes from the French Icons #2 set. I also added some more buttons and a safety pin.

These little boxes work great with double-sided paper. I haven't quite decided what to put in them yet. I think they will be the home for some small embellishments, such as the wood veneer shapes used to decorate them.

I made little handles for the boxes by layering a button on top of a stamped and die cut flower, and adhering with embroidery floss. I was planning to give this sewing drawer unit away, but it is so cute, I might keep it for myself.

I hope you enjoyed this project and thank you for stopping by today!

Happy crafting!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:




9 comments:

  1. I love this Anna-Karin!! it IS super cute! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is adorable! Thank you for giving us the finished measurements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marci! I am trying to be better at giving the finished measurements, I often forget to do that. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so beautiful Anna Karin - and timely too - my youngest is currently sewing mad - and has been asking if father christmas might bring her a sewing basket - I think a set of drawers might be even better!!!! Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! How cute that she she loves sewing. I had one of those traditional tiered sewing boxes as a child. I still have it, with the original contents. All children also seem to like little sets of drawers.

      Delete
  5. This is absolutely adorable! Love the tape measure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever and talented woman you are! This is a beauty besides being a great way to store small bits and pieces! The tape measure you created out of corrugated cardboard, or is it crimped paper, is genius. What else can I say...it's a beautiful place to store small treasures. You never cease to amaze!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marilyn! The tape measure is made from sticky-back canvas and cardstock, embossed in a folder and inked.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!