Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Vintage Canister Tutorial

Hello everyone! During November, the challenge at Eileen Hull's Art With Heart challenge is Favorite Recipes. Eileen's new Vintage Kitchen collection is going to be available for purchase any day now and the team has shared creations using this wonderful and versatile collection.

In August, I shared some of the samples I made with the Vintage Kitchen collection and promised to give the details later one. In this post, I will share three samples, one of them a stepped out tutorial. I have a fourth one too, but I will save that for later this week.

Let's start with the Canister die, which is such a great die. Love this tall shape. I wanted to create a vintage canister, looking like something my grandmother might have had in her kitchen, with texture and a simple design.
 
Die cut the canister from mat board. This is an XL die, so you need the Extended Cutting pads. As you can see, the Scoreboards dies both cut and score the material, making assembly easy. Paint with Antique Linen and Pumice Stone Distress paint. When dry, stamp here and there with a crackle stamp and Watering Can ink. I painted and stamped the inside too.

I painted the lid with Broken China paint. All the edges were sanded to reveal the white mat board.

Cover the edges of the lid with masking tape. Mix a little Pumice Stone paint into Wendy Vecchi's Embossing Paste and apply through a stencil. Remove the tape and leave to dry.

Mix a little Antique Linen and Pumice Stone paint into Embossing Paste and apply through a flower stencil with a palette knife. Leave to dry.

When the flower panels are dry, you can add more stencilling on the remaining two sides. I used a word stencil and some birds. Leave to dry.

When the paste is dry, you can assemble the canister. I used Ranger's Wonder Tape. Die cut a label from white paper and paint with Broken China.

Dry brush Gathered Twigs paint here and there on the canister to give it an aged look.

I stitched a vintage button to the lid, which also makes it easy to open the canister.

It can be displayed with any of the sides facing forwards, to vary the look. Use patterns that fit with the recipient of the canister. 
 
This sugar bowl is another sweet die and it comes together with a creamer. It remained me of a very cute china set I had as a child and I tried to recreate it from memory. Again, I used a stencil by Wendy Vecchi and sponged Distress Inks through it, aiming for a soft look. Mat board takes inks really well.  
 
Stamp with a sentiment using Watering Can ink and add some pearls.

On the other side, I used another favourite sentiment stamp. Assemble the sugar bowl with strong tape.

I also used the Loaf Pan die, to make a little gift box for something sweet, in this case jelly beans. The pan was die cut from mat board and embossed in the pretty Sunburst folder. I coloured it with Eileen's Bay Blends ink. The Loaf Pan can be assembled in two ways, the second one being a little broader than my version, with the sides leaning outwards.

The flower was die cut from patterned paper with the Sweet Treats For You die, inked and layered together. I glued some trim around the edge.

The Loaf Pan was sprayed with Biscotti Perfect Pearls mist, for some sparkle.
 
Thank you so much for looking! I'll be back with another Vintage Kitchen project later this week.
 
Happy crafting!!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Embossing folder: Sizzix: Sunburst & Waffle
Surfaces: Sizzix Little Sizzles White Mat Board; Neenah Smooth Solar White; Prima Vintage Vanity A4
Stamps: Stamper's Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: The Purpose of Art, Art Comforts, Forever Art; Stamper's Anonymous Tim Holtz: Cracks & Specks
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Watering Can, Saffron; Distress Ink: Spun Sugar, Shabby Shutters, Gathered Twigs; Colorbox Eileen Hull Blends: Bay
Paint: Distress Paint: Antique Linen, Gathered Twigs, Pumice Stone, Broken China
Mist: Ranger Perfect Pearls: Biscotti
Stencils: Stamper's Anonymous: Wendy Vecchi: Vintage Floral, Sunburst, Classic Words, Fancy Flowers
Medium: Stamper's Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: White Embossing Paste

10 comments:

  1. I love all of the items you created with Eileen's dies but the canister is just amazing! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! All three are lovely. I love how I see things differently when you use them, like stencils, embossing folders, stamps. I guess that is the artist in you. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Anna-Karin love all the details. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Anna-Karin! I learn something every time I read one of your tutorials. Thanks so much for posting these three gorgeous projects!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that canister, Anna Karin! Really want that die now!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore your creative style Anna-Karin, every time I stop by your blog is like creative wonderland for me. Thank you for sharing your inspiration ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just wanted to tell you that your work is creative, amazing, challenging, and beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW...wow...W O W!!!
    LOVE them all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!