Monday, August 4, 2014

Family Locket Idea-ology Necklace

Hello everyone!! It is a new wonderful week and we have a fun Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge for you - family. So many different things you can do with this topic: scrapbooking layouts, mini-books, use Tim Holtz Found Relatives cards, and interpret the theme in any way you can think of.
 
As you probably noticed, I've changed my blog banner, I hope you like it! I really liked my old one, but I thought it was time for something new. I also made the blog a little wider so that the photos can be a bit larger, and because of that the text and the photos of my older posts don't line up perfectly.
 
It's been way too long since I made a piece of jewelry to myself and I decided to make a chunky necklace using a lot of Tim Holtz idea-ology pieces. The focal piece is the locket book, in you will find some of my favourite family photos, close to my heart. I had a small locket as a child and was always fascinated by the idea of adding photos to jewelry. 
 
I did some fun techniques for the necklace. Here you can see fragments and Facets. They were glued to some of the smallest papers in the Wallflower Paper Stash, by coating the back with a thin layer of Glossy Accents. Before gluing the fragments, I distressed them with alcohol inks, and glued them alcohol ink side down. I also added rub-ons to some of the papers first. Wait until the Glossy Accents is dry and trim the edges.
 
On the back, I placed a piece of self-adhesive foil tape and coloured it with alcohol inks. The back was coated with a thin layer of Ranger/Vintaj Glaze, which is a metal sealer.
 
I used alcohol inks to colour some of the metal pieces, also burnishing them slightly and then coating them with the glaze. I punched holes in the pen nibs with Vintaj's Hole Pliers.
 
I love the wooden letterpress letters and picked two for my necklace. I would have used A and K (for my name), but I had already used them on another project. The letters were painted with Antique Linen and Black Soot. I used Screw Eyes to attach them to the necklace. There is also a game piece and a heart charm

Some of the metal pieces were coloured with Distress Paints to give them a patina finish. Distress Paint stick very well to metal.
 
Finally, I picked some random leftover beads and placed them on pins. Some of these were from broken pieces of jewelry.
 
For my chain, I used Tim Holtz Lace Chain and started from the centre with the locket. 
 
I alternated the small beads and the larger plastic, wooden and metal pieces. The sunstone beads to the left came from a favourite bracelet that broke years ago. 
 
The facet pieces look real pretty, and were hard to capture on camera.
 
I love the random look of this necklace with all the different pieces to discover.
 
This rub-on 'A' comes from the word 'journal'. Don't be afraid to cut apart rub-ons if you only need one part.
 
I wore it for a while before finalising how long it should be and to check if any of the pieces were sharp. Luckily, they weren't.  
 
One of my favourite pieces is this facet with the bees.

It is easy to alter the letterpress letters with a little bit of paint.
 
There had to be some birds on the necklace, since I love birds, and they always remind me of one of my grandmothers.
 
The third bird on the necklace, and a crown.
 
I printed out some tiny family photos, using new ones on one side of the booklet and old photos on the other side.

These are the newer photos. I might develop proper photos a little later and replace these.
 
Thank you so much for looking at all these photos! I hope you will join us in our challenge this week and as always one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/
 
 
Happy crafting!!
 
Anna-Karin
 
Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz idea-ology Wallflower paper stash; Ranger/Vintaj: Silver Metal-Pressions
Alcohol Ink: Adirondack: Lettuce, Ginger, Stream, Gold, Pitch Black
Medium: Ranger/Vintaj: Glaze Sealer
Tools: Vintaj: Reliefing Block, Hole Pliers

34 comments:

  1. This is a work of art.Love all the little details.Absolutely fun and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely brilliant, just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just amazing Anna Karin. You have created some unique and wearable art. So many good ideas along the way,

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous necklace! I like your new blog design and the bigger photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not just a necklace, it is a work of art Anna-Karin!! It is fabulous - you are one of the most inspiration crafters I know and you never fail to impress... Anne x

    PS, your new blog design is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Wow that is just stunning, every little detail is just amazing, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Anna-Karin! This piece is amazing! Each charm is incredibly unique! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am literally drooling at this one! LOVE IT and would wear it in a heartbeat! I was so amazed at how you added your own bit of zip to all those embellishments to make this necklace truly unique. And thanks for describing your processes, too. That locket is incredible and I'm so impressed at your jewelry-making skills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing, Anna-Karin! Love it really much. Each element is so perfect and well thought out! Fabulous! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beyond stunning, Anna-Karin - this is just beautiful. A piece of wearable art... Love those facets, and the DP-altered metal pieces, and the tiny album in the locket book - all just wonderful! A magnificent creation.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did with the fragments and facets. Seen the glue-paper-to-glass-or-plastic-charm/prism before in jewellery making, but the use of inks takes it to a new level. It looks fab -- and is very inspiring! Of cause I think the distressed letterpress letters and faux verdigris metal is great too. Who can resist a yummy distressed patina?

    Are you familiar with B'Sue Boutiques (a jewellery supply shop)? She really digs this type of jewellery, as does many of the jewellery makers in her FB and Flickr groups. This necklace feels like it would fit in great and be admired there. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this piece. You are such an inspiration. Thank you so very much for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just beautiful, thanks for the tips on making some of the parts, just love it. Congratulations on making the Tim Team, enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is stunning!!!! So layered and colorful and interesting and gorgeous!!!!! I adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning! When I saw this I was in awe and really appreciate the effort to string all those beautiful pieces together on a necklace! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome!!! Congratulations! How much fun is that going to be?!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really, really love this. Ready to start one of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every last detail is so gorgeous! You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your necklace is just amazing. Love all those great details. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi wow, I love the necklace. I have had the locket for ages and you have inspired me to make my own necklace. Thanks! X

    ReplyDelete
  21. How gorgeous is this. Completely unique and stunning. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is Stunning the fragment n facets look fab..I just can't take my eyes of it !!

    I noticed the new banner loved the freshness of it a lot !

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous...simply gorgeous. Breathtaking work of art. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. You never cease to amaze me! I have been wanting to make some jewelry items with Tim's trinkets. I made a pair of earrings a while back. But your necklace uses everything. From the gears to the letterpress letters. OMG! Got to "pin" this. Once again, I am so inspired! Thak you Anna-Karin for the detail. Loving ya, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is one of my favorite projects of yours. I love the details. There is such an outpouring of creativity. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. what a cool, creative, and clever use of products. You are a very talented artist.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!! Neat necklace! Thanks for the zoom shots! It really allowed me to appreciate all the details you put into this cool piece :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow.. this is such a gorgeous creation! All the details are just amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm totally speechless , this necklace is absolutely incredible! It's beautiful in every little details, but the mini mini album..... I'm totally in love with it!!And.. congrats again!!! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  30. my jaw literally dropped when I saw this! you are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have spent ages looking at each and every piece - fantastic !!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just...WOW! This is absolutely stunning, Anna-Karin and so beautiful in every single way! The detail is beyond amazing and this piece has just taken my breath away! Have a great weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anna,
    This is a wonderful keepsake and what a great way to display new and old photos. I love all the details of each charm. Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!