Monday, February 24, 2014

Textured Window Canvas Tutorial

Hello everyone!! This week we have another fabulous challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog, Paste Mediums (embossing paste, gel medium, gesso and more). I am very fond of adding texture to my pages and different kinds of paste is one of my favourite supplies.
 
This week, I used a lot of paste, and made a canvas that consists mainly of Wendy Vecchi's White Embossing Paste. Love this stuff, it has the greatest texture and is light-weight and non-sticky, perfect for papercrafts, and for any kind of mixed-media work. I use it often together with stencils and for backgrounds, but this week I wanted to try something different, namely to cover a canvas with a thick layer and carve a pattern into the paste. I took some step photos.

I used a deep edge 4 x 4 in canvas and coated the front with a thick layer of paste using a palette knife, maybe about 8 mm thick. You need to work one side at a time. It is a good idea to start on one of the sides first, to figure out how long you have to wait for the paste to start drying before making impressions into it. I wished I had started with a side, because the bricks on the sides of my canvas are neater than the ones on the front, since I timed it better.

You need to wait until the paste starts to dry a little bit, and particularly until the surface starts to dry. The time will differ depending on the climate where you live. I think I waited about 30 minutes. The paste still needs to be soft, but not completely soft. I used a plastic palette knife to make impressions. I made the impressions a bit early on the front, if I had started with a side, I would have known to wait longer. Complete all the sides of the canvas, one at a time. If you are careful, they don't have to dry fully before you do the next side. Leave to dry completely.

I painted the windows with Antique Linen and the rest of the canvas with Pumice Stone, also adding Pumice Stone between the windows. Leave to dry. (The orange shouldn't have been here, I just forgot to take this photo until I had started with the orange).

I wanted a terracotta window and painted the bricks with Rusty Hinge, leaving the area in between them, the grout, Pumice Stone. Leave to dry. 
 
Dry-brush Walnut Stain on the window to distress it and to add more texture and character.
 
I wanted to add a sentiment too and love this stamp by Wendy Vecchi, but it was too large to fit a single window pane. Instead, I stamped it on tissue paper and tore into strips. I glued the strips down with gel medium, which makes the tissue paper disappear. Check out this tutorial of mine for more inspiration on tissue paper stamping.  

I wanted a branch in front of the window and reached for my trusted Branch Tree die. It was die cut from grungeboard and coated with Embossing Paste. I love using paste to add textures to die cut embellishments. Leave to dry.
 
When the paste is dry, paint the branch with Walnut Stain and Forest Moss Distress Paint, using a paint brush.

The flowers were die cut from Bazzill Antique papers with the Tattered Flower Garland die, inked and layered.

I used a resin embellishment to add a bit of life to my scene. (Sorry, I just saw that it got out of stock right after I got it). You could also make a clay bird using a Martha Stewart mold. 
 

Love the texture of this piece. You just want to reach out and touch it.

Since the canvas has a thick edge, it looks great to extend the brick texture to the edges.
 
I hope you will join us this week! We love looking at all the submissions every week. As always, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront

Thank you for looking!!

Happy Crafting!!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Grungeboard; Bazzill Antique 6 x 6 pad; 4 x 4 deep edged canvas
Dies: Sizzix: Branch Tree, Tattered Flower Garland
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: Art Comforts
Ink: Archival Ink: Jet Black; Distress Ink: Gathered Twigs
Paint: Distress Paint: Antique Linen, Pumice Stone, Frayed Burlap, Gathered Twigs, Rusty Hinge, Walnut Stain, Forest Moss
Medium: Wendy Vecchi Stampers Anonymous: White Embossing Paste
Embellishments: Webster's Pages: Resin Nesting Birds; Kaisercraft Pearls

28 comments:

  1. Wow Anna-Karin! Stunning work of art! Love the sweet scene that you created and all the texture is to die for! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. small but perfectly formed - I love this and thanks so much for the details on how you did it xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! you created a masterpiece!
    this is fabulous!
    the texture is amazing.
    awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! The brick looks real. Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so cooool - excellent stuff - so creative !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful. Thanks for the explanation. Anneke.
    www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this on Simon blog - what an incredible project!!! Thank you for sharing it with us, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you did the side too! Brilliant creativity here Anna-Karin and such a pretty make. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. How sweet and
    wonderful this is!
    Love the texture
    and colors. Thank
    you for sharing it.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, Anna-Karin! This is so pretty! Love the modeling of the modeling paste! Amazing texture! Love the window you've created! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful project, Anna-Karin. The texture and colors are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cool art, Anna-Karin! I really love how you made the window panes & brick and stained them to make them look so life like!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love what you've done here... what amazing use of the WV paste, and the finished piece is so pretty and so much fun.

    Like you I've lots of different pastes and they each behave slightly differently - looking forward to playing this week, time permitting.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. As always, a truly wonderful piece of artwork with so much interest and gorgeous detail. I just love everything about this piece, it's perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful piece of art !!The tutorial makes it so easy to create. The WV paste seams to be such a great paste to work with. Gotta get some and try this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is gorgeous. Love the technique and stamping on tissue. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Holy cow, the texture is amazing so thick and heavy like this! I've never seen something like it! Gorgeous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore the texture on this piece. I've never tried this paste and I must add it to my wishlist. It looks amazing! Your projects always inspire me, and this is a wonderfully inspiring one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful idea! The texture of your canvas is fantastic and all the details perfect! Branch , flower nest! An original and different use of the embossing paste! Thanks for sharing with us ! Your tutorials are always inspirational for me! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another brilliant piece from that creative mind of yours that seems to know no limits! I always appreciate your tutorial steps, too, and I adore the way the antique papers turned out with the tattered flower garland die.

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOok at you! Ready to come over and build me a cottage? Love this brilliant idea of creating your own texture! Lovely little rustic cottage you have created!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your canvas! There is so much detail for such a small little canvas. I could stare at it for ages to soak it all in.
    I haven't tried working with the pastes yet but this looks like fun.
    Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. AMAZING!
    thanks for all the inspiration and tips.
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic!! Love it very much! i can use it in my Easter presents, thank you very much!!! i like to use texture paste also, as you

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anna-Karin...I so love your pasted piece! The way you created that window and brick around it is really really cool! I also love your coloring of all of it. The branch and the sweet bird and nest are also so sweet. Love the stamped tissue paper technique. That has come in handy so many times! As always, a beautiful piece. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  26. oh wow! you never cease to amaze me! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!