Sunday, February 19, 2012

Card Patterns 153: Saying Hello

I am sorry for not having posted this yesterday evening, it got too late before I had a chance to sit down at the computer. I love this week’s Card Patterns sketch designed by Tracy, with ten awesome little squares. Here it is:


Don't forget to check the Card Patterns blog for the cards by the rest of the team. Here's my card:


The squares on the sketch made me think of the card I made with inchies last week. I found two canvas scrap pieces, one was yellow, one blue and die cut 5 inchies from each. The blue squares were stamped with background stamps using Faded Jeans ink, misting the stamp a couple of times before stamping. The yellow squares were stamped with Wild Honey ink.

For the background, I adhered tissue tape to a piece of cream cardstock, making sure to get it pretty wrinkled. Then it was coloured with Antique Linen Distress Stain and sponged with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. The trim was dyed with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink. The flourishes were die cut from cream paper and coloured with Walnut Stain distress stain.


You might recognize the quilled sunflower from my Fringed Flower tutorial. Here’s how I made it:


I used a Tim Holtz On the Edge die and die cut a 15 cm strip of yellow patterned paper (about 2 cm wide). Then I cut between each scallop, creating rounded and pretty wide fringes.


The centre was done by fringing two shades brown quilling paper (7 mm) and rolling them up together. I cut a strip about 1 cm wide from brown patterned paper and fringed that and rolled it around the inner centre. The fringes were inked with Walnut Stain.


Then the yellow fringes were rolled around the centre, and also inked a bit. Instead of flattening the inner centre, I pressed it from the back to give it a rounded appearance. Then glue was applied at the back to keep everything in place.

My card is also inspired by this month's Hero Arts challenge, and by two Winterfest challenges at Two Peas (Hidden Potential and Background Check).

Thank you for stopping by!!

Supplies: Hero Arts stamps: Friend Definition CG 125, Cling Dots CG139; Painted People Background CG402, Zig Zag CG422, Grid Pattern ST503, Alphabet Pattern ST501, Flourish Background CG119, Graph Background S5435, Antique Flower Background S5264, Dots and Flowers S5213, Large Canvas Stripes; Distress Ink: Wild Honey, Tumbled Glass, Walnut Stain, Faded Jeans; Distress Stain: Antique Linen; yellow acrylic paint; Tim Holtz tissue tape; Tim Holtz Sizzix Mini Flourish die; Cuttlebug square die; brown quilling paper; yellow patterned paper; Kaisercraft rhinestones; natural canvas.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous flower, and what a fun collection of canvas inchies! Love that crumpled text background.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!