Monday, February 3, 2014

Heart Postcards and Journal Page

Hello everyone! We have a Love Letter theme at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week. As always, one random participant wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp. I made two postcards and an art journal page.

The new Simon Says Stamp Exclusive Valentine 2014 products are fabulous and I used a bunch of them on these postcards. The postcards were made of manila cardstock, which was inked by smearing Distress Inks on my craft sheet, misting with water and pressing the paper into the ink. For the frame, I used the Folded Paper Background stamp by Stampers Anonymous, here stamped with Watering Can ink. The backgrounds were also stamped with the Drawn Heart Background stamp and with a script stamp.

I really like the Mosaic Heart stencil, and it is not just for Valentine's since hearts can be used all year around. I mixed a little bit of Spun Sugar paint into White Embossing Paste and smeared through the stencil. When dry, it was inked with tiny bit of Frayed Burlap. The hearts were stamped with Watering Can.

The new Heart Parade die is so sweet and die cuts a row of very intricate hearts. The sentiment was stamped on a Tattered Banner.
 
On the back of the postcard, I stamped a sentiment and more hearts.
 
I made a second version of the postcard too, using brown instead of grey. The frame was stamped with Potting Soil ink. Brown and pink paint was mixed into the paste for the Mosaic Heart.
 
Here you can see the combination of heart and script stamping on the background.
 
When you die cut the Heart Parade, you also get some solid hearts, and I used the smaller of them here.
 
The back of the second postcard.
 
I had leftover brown paste and smeared another heart into my art journal, planning to use it for a later project. Instead, I finished it now and made a very simple page. When the heart was dry, I misted it with a mix of Tattered Rose reinker, Perfect Pearls and water.
 
When the mist was dry, I added some hearts stamped with Tattered Rose, and more Simon Says Stamp die cuts.
 
I have a thing for bird stamps, and this new stamp by Hero Arts is so sweet. I stamped it on Specialty Stamping paper and coloured with Distress Inks.
 
As a sentiment, I used a Wendy Vecchi stamp, stamped with Potting Soil ink.

Here you can see the shine of the Perfect Pearls better.

I hope you will join us in the challenge this week, and you can be the one who wins a $50 gift voucher from Simon Says Stamp.

http://www.simonsaysstamp.com/servlet/StoreFront

Thank you for stopping by!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Ranger: Manila Cardstock, Specialty Stamping Paper; Ranger Dylusions Small Creative Journal; Neenah Smooth Solar White cardstock
Dies: Simon Says Stamp: Heart Parade, Life Family Love; Sizzix: Tattered Banners
Stamps: Simon Says Stamp: Beautiful Words, Drawn Heart Background, Lots of Hearts, Envelope Sentiments; Hero Arts: Bird D5890; Stampers Anonymous: Folded Paper Background; Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: Classics #9, Postcards; Stampers Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: Well Worn Art
Stencil: Simon Says Stamp: Mosaic Heart
Ink: Distress Ink: Antique Linen, Tattered Rose, Victorian Velvet, Barn Door, Gathered Twigs, Frayed Burlap; Archival Ink: Watering Can, Potting Soil, Jet Black
Reinker: Distress Ink Tattered Rose
Perfect Pearls: Ranger Biscotti Perfect Pearls
Paint: Ranger Distress Paint: Victorian Velvet, Spun Sugar, Walnut Stain
Medium: Stampers Anonymous Wendy Vecchi: White Embossing Paste

23 comments:

  1. Very nice. I like the subtle colors, that heart mosaic is really cool, lots of lovely layers, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing texture and layers! Love that embossed heart. The varying die cuts and stamped images are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anna-Karin, I love your postcards and journal page, I never spotted that mosaic heart at SSS, I collect hearts and must get that in my collection. The mosaic heart is very eye catching and I love your backdrops too. Great texture. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this. What a beautiful color. And thank you for your explanation. Anneke.
    www.annekescardart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These postcards and the art journal are so beautiful with the those hearts. I love the fabulous textures and colors. Great design, Ann Karin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful textures, layers and so much to look at on these postcards and the art journal page. Fantastic design Anna-Karin, they're all beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simply beautiful. Just love those soft colours and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous journal pages Anna-Karin! Love all the texture and hearts! Thanks for sharing your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are fabulous projects! I love your use of paste. And I like how you did the postcard too. I found that really inspiring.
    Beautiful work!

    P.S. I laughed out loud when I read the post you left on blog about turning into a plant woman. That is so sweet. Poor little guy. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna-Karin, you busy little bee! What a gorgeous projects you made this week! Love the colors you chose! So pretty! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a soft such stunning postcards you have created for us this week. Love the pink mixed with the paste. I must try that technique.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Stunning projects! I love how you used SSS exclusive in 2 fantastic pieces :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always combine things in the most interesting ways! This another piece that visually drew me in. I love the textured "rough" background against the elegant and dainty hearts. I always enjoy seeing your pieces and the wonderful ways in which you interpret each week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You always combine things in the most interesting ways! This another piece that visually drew me in. I love the textured "rough" background against the elegant and dainty hearts. I always enjoy seeing your pieces and the wonderful ways in which you interpret each week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, I'm blown away by your work. I love every detail, and I can't decide which one I like best. They're all charming. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. lovely Anna - I love your style!
    Sandra ltb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious work - love the vintage postcard in the background, and your delicious variation in the journal page. By chance I was playing with this same stencil just today - all still work in progress though...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tutorials are always very detailed and very helpful! thanks for sharing! Your work is amazing as always! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anna-Karin,


    Love your card, looks like a soft romantic mosaic!

    Have a great week full of creativity and fun.

    Blessings,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic! I love the texture and the composition. The hearts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see that you really enjoyed working with these stamps, dies and techniques Anna-Karin. Beautiful ideas for a journal and the postcards. I absolutely adore the Hearts Parade die cuts and how they almost float across the page of texture and subtle stamping. Stunning! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love everything about everyone of these creations! Such pretty tone on tone work and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I arrived here from Pinterest & wasn't enough to just re-pin, had to come by. Absolutely adore your creations here, postcards look so authentic, journal page has great texture & feasts for the eyes. The choice of colours are soft & beautiful - totally commenting the dark brown. Off to see more of your blog :))

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!