Saturday, November 23, 2013

Houses in a Row

Hello and welcome! I can't believe that we are on case file #99 at CSI:Color, Stories, Inspiration, number 100 next week! Here's this week's case file:



And my layout:

I used the Daydreaming on Paper prompt and got 'what was your first job'. I thought it was a great topic and it is something I've never done a layout on. My first job was to deliver advertisement leaflets and magazines into 325 different mail boxes, walking street up and street down with my sister's old pram. I didn't have a single photo relating to this job, instead I used some photos of me from the same time and built a street with my favourite Artful Dwellings die. From the evidence items I used: stripes, dots, butterflies, window accents, silver metal, and 6 of something (the houses).

I had a watercolour background which I made for something else and ended up not using, it was perfect for creating a backdrop for my scene.

I had so much fun making these houses, using left-over gelli prints and embossed papers I had used to make impressions into the paint on my gelli plate. I emboss white paper to use to make patterns when gel printing, since the random paint on these look really cool. If you look at these gelli print posts of mine, you'll be able to spot some of the papers I used: Jump Art JournalingDotty Gelli Print ATC-Book, and Gel Printing with Dies and Embossing Folders.
 
The papers were glued to mat board and houses were die cut using Artful Dwellings and the Mini Openings for windows. The one in the middle is a gelli print, the other two are embossed papers pressed into paint on the plate. I glued a brick die cut to the grey house.
  
The windows are backed with mica and some of them have lace curtains. I used Tim Holtz Industrious Borders stickers to add detail to the houses and label letters for the house numbers. The edges were inked with Black Soot.
 
The two houses to the right were covered with gelli prints and the large house with a Dot Matrix embossed paper, used to make patterns into the paint. The two print houses were stamped with a grid and a brick stamp, using Archival Ink. The butterflies were die cut from Bazzill text paper of old newspaper adds.
 
Love the look of these painty dots and that you can see some of the stamped numbers through the window.
 
I mixed Antique Linen Distress Paint into Light Molding Paste and applied it through three different stencils. When dry, the background was stamped with a number background stamp, birds and a clock.

I wrote a whole page of journaling, and tucked it behind the layout, as a reminder, I used an arrow and rub-on word. On Friday afternoons, huge piles of papers were delivered to the door and I then had to sort them into 325 different piles, it could take a really long time, since there sometimes were 7 or 8 different leaflets and magazines. Then they had to be delivered, and in a neighbourhood with a lot of steep hills and sometimes not very nice weather. Some people were rude (but could not go through the trouble of placing a sticker on their mail box saying that they didn't want ad materials), and they promptly got add leaflets every week. I started with this job when I was about 13 and continued for almost five years, every weekend, which was long considering the pretty bad pay.

A stripe stencil was used to make the road in front of the houses and I used a mix of Industrious stickers and label letters for the title.

Thank you so much for looking! Enjoy your weekend!

Anna-Karin

Supplies:
Surfaces: Daler & Rowney watercolour paper; Neenah Smooth Solar White cardstock; Sizzix Little Sizzles Mat Board 6 x 13; Bazzill Antique 6 x 6
Dies: Sizzix: Artful Dwellings, Mini Openings, Mini Butterflies, Brick Wall
Embossing folders: Sizzix: Bubble & Honeycomb, Dot Matrix & Gridlock, Rays & Retro Circles
Stamps: Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz: School Desk, Ultimate Grunge, Curiosities, Mini Ornates
Ink: Ranger Archival Ink: Jet Black, Monarch Orange, Cornflower Blue; Distress Ink: Black Soot
Paint: Ranger Distress Paints: Tumbled Glass, Salty Ocean, Spiced Marmalade, Evergreen Bough, Iced Spruce, Wild Honey, Antique Linen; Daler & Rowney watercolours
Medium: Golden Artist Paint: Light Molding Paste
Stencils: Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous: Cargo, Eye Chart, Stripes
Embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology: Industrious Borders, Deco Type Industrious Stickers, Label Letters, Words Remnant Rubs, Black & Cream Trimmings; US ArtQuest Mica; lace trim
Tools: Sizzix Big Shot; Gelli Arts: Gel Printing Plate 6 x 6 in

6 comments:

  1. Its fantastic how you have built the whole scene with textures houses !Loved the use of modelling paste too :D !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna-Karin ... I really loved heard about your first job. As I looked at all the wonderful details you have in your LO (including the house numbers on your Artful Dwellings), I could imagine you walking up steep hills with your pram full of leaflets. Love your background and all the textures on this piece. Fabulous make -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous Anna-Karin, love the textures and dimension. Love how,you added faux windows too. The Artful Dwellings look fabulous. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna-Karin I am a huge fan of your work and I love seeing the stuff you make when the mails come in even if I don't always comment. BUT I think that this has to be one of my faves of your. I love everything about it and I just think it is such a clever layout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wao…I saw your layout at CSI and had to come check how in the world you add so much texture. I love this!!! What an awesome page. Im like you in that most times I hide my journaling. :)
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous result from that art prompt! Love, love, LOVE your street!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! Happy Crafting!